Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 connect to external LCD Monitor through USB-C hub

I have 3 Macbook Air M1 (base model), all connected to its external LCD monitor. So, basically 3 MBAs connects to 3 LCDs through 3 USB-C hubs. They all have similar issues. On the other hand, my old MBA (Mid 2013 base model) does not have any of the following 3 issues.

The 1st issue is most server, around once in a few days. It goes beyond annoying. Both the external LCD and MBA's display turn to pink flash then crash and reboot. Sometimes it doesn't have anything, directly jump into reboot. The problem is, it is unpredictable. It can happen anytime without any prior symptom. I can't recreate the situation as well.

The 2nd issue is, from time to time, the external LCD turns to all black for less than a second, while the MBA's display still on. This happens like once or twice a day.

The 3rd issue is the external LCD will start 1 or 2 seconds behind the notebook display after wake up. This happens every single time.

There is no way to reset NVRAM or PRAM for M1 chip machine. So I don't know what to do. Welcome any suggestion.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 2:11 PM

I MAY have found solution. All 3 problems have not appeared for 5 days. 2 steps:

1. Extend Display Turn-Off setting to 30 min: Go to System Preferences/Battery/Power Adapter, change the "Turn display off after" to 30 minutes;
  2. Use the other USB-C port: There are 2 USB-C ports on Macbook Air M1, when the display panel open, one is further from the user, the other one is closer. Use the closer USB-C port to connect the USB-C hub.

I don't know why it works. But, hey, it works.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 2:11 PM in response to Edward_NY

I MAY have found solution. All 3 problems have not appeared for 5 days. 2 steps:

1. Extend Display Turn-Off setting to 30 min: Go to System Preferences/Battery/Power Adapter, change the "Turn display off after" to 30 minutes;
  2. Use the other USB-C port: There are 2 USB-C ports on Macbook Air M1, when the display panel open, one is further from the user, the other one is closer. Use the closer USB-C port to connect the USB-C hub.

I don't know why it works. But, hey, it works.

Dec 13, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Edward_NY

Hello Edward_NY,

We'd love to assist you with your display turning black, the external LCD starting 1 second behind, and the displays showing a pink flash before crash and reboot.

Does the issues occur in safe mode?  If you are not familiar with the safe mode steps, you can follow the steps here: How to use safe mode on your Mac to get it done. Once in safe mode, you'd want to use the Mac as you normally would to see if the issues occurs again.

Also, are the issues occurring in different user accounts? If you have another user account already set up, then you can use that one. If not, please follow the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac to set up and test in a different user account. 

Best regards

Macbook Air M1 connect to external LCD Monitor through USB-C hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.