Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 Memory Issue

Hi, I am having a really serious memory issue on my new M1 13" MBP running 11.01 Big Sur. The device is running out of memory with no apps running (see the screenshots attached bellow). Already have I tried a system restore which seemed to help the issue temporarily, as you all know this is not a simple process. I got a standard personalisation issue when reinstalling BigSur which then required me to do a firmware restore from another macbook to get the machine going again. This is another issue that I understand is being resolved by apple atm but is not my issue.

After a day or so the issue came back eventually getting to the point where the device practically becomes unusable and the system will then freeze and restart. After a restart I am prompted that the device restarted because of an issues. This is my work device and I need answers from Apple ASAP.

Thanks

James

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 6:31 AM

Problem solved. Just got off the phone with Apple Support and found a technician that helped me out. Went to System report then extensions - seperated the 3rd party extensions from apple extensions and found vmware to be the cause of the issue. Inside was a kernel extension that is always booting with the OS running in the background. Incompatible versions was my probable diagnosis what was causing the issue.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 6:31 AM in response to jimmmyange

Problem solved. Just got off the phone with Apple Support and found a technician that helped me out. Went to System report then extensions - seperated the 3rd party extensions from apple extensions and found vmware to be the cause of the issue. Inside was a kernel extension that is always booting with the OS running in the background. Incompatible versions was my probable diagnosis what was causing the issue.

Dec 14, 2020 12:32 PM in response to jimmmyange

Hey there, James.

It appears that you're running out of memory with your MacBook Pro, to where you're being prompted to quit Finder and possibly other apps to use your MacBook Pro. When you did the reinstall of macOS, did you erase your drive and reinstall macOS or only reinstall macOS? You'll also want to ensure that the installed apps on your MacBook Pro are updated: Use the App Store to update apps on Mac

We'd also like to see if this happens in a test user, which can possibly isolate this further: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know your results. In the meantime, take care!

Dec 20, 2020 5:59 AM in response to jimmmyange

James,

Thank you for those additional details. If you reinstalled macOS and restored a backup or any data, we'd still like to see if this behavior happens in a new test user: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac We'd also like to see if this happens in safe mode as well: How to use safe mode on your Mac That article has great steps to take if you find the issue does or doesn't happen in safe mode.

If you restored macOS and set it up as new, then you can contact Apple Support for further assistance here: Contact Apple Support

Cheers.

Dec 19, 2020 12:08 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph, sorry for the late reply. There are no other background apps or tasks running as seen in the activity monitor hence the reason why I am puzzled. Never in my 10 happy years of owning a Mac have I ever experienced this (well expected with the new M1). I should note that this is a DEP MacBook as well if this changes anything but I cannot see why it would. It was a reinstall of BigSur 11.0.1, in which I ran into the common personalization error which many others are experiencing.

Lucky for me I had another Mac (otherwise it would have been bricked) which required me to restore the firmware of the MacBook, erase then proceed to successfully install the OS again.

For a few days, it was fine with no ram capacity error message popping up, then it appeared on the fifth day. I have also recently upgraded to 11.1 hoping this would resolve the issue but no it has not.

Stay in touch.

Best regards,

James

Feb 11, 2021 8:23 AM in response to jimmmyange

I don't have vmware anywhere on my 8GB RAM M1 MBA (luckily!) but I have found that Adobe Photoshop is a real memory hog and memory is not being released as well as one might hope after app is shut down. Hopefully Apple will be looking at this as the later versions of Big Sur arrive. I have now, some £600+ later, got my mended 2017 15"/16GB MBP back with its new screen, where the old one died for no apparent reason. I will tend to stick with that for any intensive Photoshop use. My regular files are quite large from a 41 Megapixel camera, especially if using 16 bit TIFF conversions from the DNG/RAW images.

Wilson

Feb 11, 2021 10:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It was the failure to release memory I was hoping that Apple might improve, rather than the memory hogging of the programs themselves. From the Adobe POV, they are working on a version of their 4 main photo apps, which will run natively on Apple Silicon processors. This is predicted to arrive by April. I would guess this will improve memory utilisation, not least as they will not have to run via Rosetta-2.

Feb 11, 2021 11:08 AM in response to RWilsonLaidlaw

As usual, Adobe have been privy to pre-release of Apple new hardware and software.

And also as usual, they have failed to produce appropriate upgrades to their products in a timely fashion, and what they are offering has numerous incompatibilities. This is inexcusable. "They are working on it" is NOT adequate..

The idea that failing to release memory is somehow Apple's fault makes no sense. NO other Applications appear to be having such issues. These adobe guys were snoozing, and still are.

MacBook Pro M1 Memory Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.