Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outdated Itunes Library .itl file.

So...

I recently lost all of my playlists and music on my music app. I followed some advice on here and opened the library from an older, uncorrupted source. That worked a treat. The only problwm is the most recent library I could find was from October 2019! I use time machine to back up my computer weekly but it seemed for some reason, the library file it was using was never updating.

So I'm now in the process on manually adding all of the lost music and rebuilding playlists - luckily the music is still in my itunes media file and my ipod still has all the playlist info. But should it corrupt again I'd like an up to date library file I can restore from.

How do I go about creating this? I would have though the music app automatically saves new additions to the library but seemingly not....

thanks a bunch in advance

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 11:45 AM

Music should be using the ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary package to store your library, unless you've placed your reconstructed library elsewhere. If that is being backed up by Time Machine then you should be able to restore it when something goes wrong. You could also take a manual copy of the package from time to time.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 11:45 AM in response to Rock Bunting

Music should be using the ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary package to store your library, unless you've placed your reconstructed library elsewhere. If that is being backed up by Time Machine then you should be able to restore it when something goes wrong. You could also take a manual copy of the package from time to time.

tt2

Dec 11, 2020 1:44 AM in response to turingtest2

Brilliant - you're a legend. Way better than the apple support on the phone who kept telling me it was about the .itl file and that I had to manually consolidate the library each time I wanted to back it up. SMH.

I luckily managed to find an old music library file that wasn't corrupted. For future reference, do I assume the music library file should automatically update each time I change the library? When you mention taking a manual copy, do you just mean copying the file and putting it on an external hard rive somewhere?

Thanks so much once again. You've saved me 2 days of work.

Dec 11, 2020 2:27 AM in response to Rock Bunting

Rock Bunting wrote:

For future reference, do I assume the music library file should automatically update each time I change the library?

Yes.

When you mention taking a manual copy, do you just mean copying the file and putting it on an external hard drive somewhere?

Yes. Music should be closed when you do this.

Thanks so much once again. You've saved me 2 days of work.

You're welcome. 🙂

tt2

Outdated Itunes Library .itl file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.