Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.2 ringer and alarm/alert volume

I have hearing loss, so it’s important for me to be able to control volume levels on my phone. Since installing IOS 14.2, the volume resets itself to zero. I’ve missed important calls and alerts because of this. Is there some new mysterious switch buried deep in the Settings labyrinth that will override any monkey business from the OS? I need to be able to adjust the volume for different situations and rely on it to stay the way I set it!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 10:19 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 15, 2020 8:39 AM in response to snh58

Hello snh58,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. Being able to depend on your alert volume is definitely important! We understand your volume has been changing unexpectedly, and we'd like to see if we can help.

As a start, have you updated to iOS 14.3? If not, see if that helps: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that doesn't help, try removing any cases or protectors and keep an eye on it; did that make any difference?

Which iPhone model are you using currently? If it's a model that supports Attention Aware features, you might try toggling that off and testing it out: About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or iPad Pro

As another possibility, do you have any other audio devices connected, either wired or wireless? Does it make a difference if you disconnect those?

Also, try tapping Settings > Sound & Haptics. How is "Change with Buttons" set? Does it make a difference if you change it and test again?

Let us know.

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2020 9:34 AM in response to snh58

Open Settings and tap Sounds & Haptics. Under RINGER AND ALERTS increase the volume to the level you need. To test the volume, under SOUND AND VIBRATION PATTERNS, tap Ringtone and tap your current ringtone. Your current ringtone will play and you will be able to determinate if the volume setting is adequate.

This setting is only for ringers and alerts and won't interfere with the other volumes, such as when listening to music.

iOS 14.2 ringer and alarm/alert volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.