Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received my grandfather's iphone after he passed away. How do I remove activation lock without his apple id? I have the unlock code and that is all.

I received my grandfather's iphone after he passed away. I have managed to reset the phone however there is an activation lock on it. I do not know his apple ID but i do know the unlock code and I know the email address he used for activation. How do I remove activation lock with just the info I have? Thank you, Dave.

iPhone 7

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 7:20 AM

If you know the email address he used for activation, is that his Apple ID? If so, see if you can recover the password.

For the Apple ID password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID and click Forgot Password. See if you can get an email option.

Apple ID - Manage            

Apple ID – Forgot Password            

If necessary, contact Apple. They need to see a copy of the death certificate and a copy of the will or a document that shows you inherited it.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support.    

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.  (Link doesn’t always load)   

Get Support      Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport       People have posted it may take an hour or more to get a response.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 7:20 AM in response to guntrk6

If you know the email address he used for activation, is that his Apple ID? If so, see if you can recover the password.

For the Apple ID password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID and click Forgot Password. See if you can get an email option.

Apple ID - Manage            

Apple ID – Forgot Password            

If necessary, contact Apple. They need to see a copy of the death certificate and a copy of the will or a document that shows you inherited it.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support.    

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.  (Link doesn’t always load)   

Get Support      Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport       People have posted it may take an hour or more to get a response.

I received my grandfather's iphone after he passed away. How do I remove activation lock without his apple id? I have the unlock code and that is all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.