Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message attempting to stream Apple TV rented videos to TV

After successfully streaming a number of movies rented through Apple TV to my Samsung Q80 TV, it suddenly stopped working. Using our MacBook Air, screen mirroring works until I start to play the movie, then both the computer screen & the TV go blank, although the sound switches to the TV. When I attempt to do the same thing using movies/TV programs that I have purchased & previously played successfully to the TV using my iMac, I get the error message "This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV". Videos streamed thru Britbox are ok.

I have recently upgraded to High Sierra on both my iMac & MacBook Air, but cannot remember if I had any successful movie viewings after doing so. The Samsung Q80 TV is new & has Airplay.

What is going on???

QTQ80,

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 10:36 PM

Please refer to Troubleshooting Airplay

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 13, 2020 4:57 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for reminder that I should check for software update - this was the solution for half my problem. In this case, my new TV, which I had checked on a couple of weeks ago, had a software update that became available last week. When I installed it, I can now play the movies that rented/bought.

HOWEVER, when I try to play the TV series that I bought some time ago (Downton Abbey, the original season), I get the following error message: This video is in a format that can’t be streamed to this TV. Any idea what is happening here?

Error message attempting to stream Apple TV rented videos to TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.