Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Language switching stops working using globe button button on MBP M1

When I launch my MBP M1 language switching using fn button works normally, but in some time after launch this feature stops working, and I should reset my MBP to use this feature.

(fn button works, but it doesn't switch languages)

How can I solve this issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 2:28 AM

I want to type using Russian of Ukrainian with keyboard of my Mac. So I switch languages from EN to RU using button fn (with 🌏 icon) and it works, but temporary. When I launch the Mac it works probably, but not so long...this feature stops working and when I want to type another language I have to switch it on control panel on the top of my screen (what is uncomfortable).

Then I reset my Mac and this feature returns.

148 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 2:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I want to type using Russian of Ukrainian with keyboard of my Mac. So I switch languages from EN to RU using button fn (with 🌏 icon) and it works, but temporary. When I launch the Mac it works probably, but not so long...this feature stops working and when I want to type another language I have to switch it on control panel on the top of my screen (what is uncomfortable).

Then I reset my Mac and this feature returns.

Feb 2, 2021 6:37 AM in response to yaroslavm

Language switching stops working using globe button(fn) on MacBook Pro M1 Solution

Now i found solution

follow this instructions

1. Go to "System Preferences"
  2. Go to "Keyboard"
  3. Tap "Input Sources"
  4. Tap " Select the previous input sources"

FINISH!

i hope you like it.

Tap Helpful till help more people solve their problem!

Apr 25, 2021 12:39 PM in response to MacBookAirM1-Newuser

MacBookAirM1-Newuser wrote:

It's SO annoying. I am a language teacher and I need to switch back and forth from these two languages very often.

While you are waiting for Apple to fix this, you can use the other shortcuts which everyone used before Big Sur came out last October: Caps Lock or Control Space

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

Feb 2, 2021 8:57 AM in response to t1gra0

t1gra0 wrote:

@Luis the control-shift-space combination isn't really an option for me. I'd prefer to just use one single button rather than hitting three at the same time. Let's see if they will fix the issue some day, I am sure there is a long list this time

Well, I cannot fix that problem, but you can at least reduce it from three to two keys. Just choose another shortcut in here:

Dec 12, 2020 4:56 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:
By the way, the Fn key by itself does nothing... what is exactly the shortcut you use for this?

It has gotten a bit confusing recently. In the latest hardware, the Fn key has a globe on it, and Apple's instructions for Big Sur (but not Catalina) now say

"Use the Fn key or GlobeIf you set an option in Keyboard preferences to change input sources by using the Fn key or Globe  (if available on the keyboard), press the key to display a list of your input sources, then continue pressing the key until the input source you want to switch to is selected. The list disappears automatically."

Dec 27, 2020 8:35 PM in response to yaroslavm

I have this problem as well, got my MacBook Pro M1 the day before yesterday, English and Mandarin are equally important for me so I have to switch between these two languages very often. At first, everything seems ok using globe/fn key switching, but yesterday suddenly it stops working, what I mean by 'stop working' is it doesn't respond at all and I found caps key does the work but I didn't change the system preferences. I checked system preferences and found globe/fn key is still set to switch between languages. I tried to restart the laptop but nothing changes. A couple of hours later, it suddenly becomes ok, the globe/fn did the work again... and today morning it was ok but now same problem happens again... it is quite annoying, I am writing feedback to apple, hope they will contact me...

Dec 28, 2020 10:20 AM in response to wchernikov

wchernikov wrote:

caps lock is an important key, so I woundn`t change it. if apple fix the key, I'll have to get used to the other key again

Understood. Though I'm curious what else you use caps lock for. To make individual capitals instead of the normal Shift?

The globe key has only been possible since November 12. Did you use Control Space before then?

Language switching stops working using globe button button on MBP M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.