Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2012 mini is running mid to high 80C idling or working. Is it time for a paste change?

My late 2012 mac mini is running mid to high 80C temps while idling or working. Is it time for a paste change? The housing was very hot to the touch so I added a USB fan to blow away the case heat. The housing is now cool to the touch but CPU temps did not drop noticeably. Is it time to change the thermal paste? One other question - my mini is connected via HDMI to a 60" Sharp YV. Is this putting a larger load on the GPU?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 1:08 PM

At first I glanced over the activity monitor, as you suggested, but I guess my mind was set on something else because I didn’t notice it until a few days later. I did a lot of Googling and to make a long story short, someone somewhere mentioned a thing called “AddressBookSourceSync” that was utilizing most of his CPU. I went back to activity monitor and sure as heck, this was using 97% of my CPU. I had to check around to find out how to quit this “activity”. There are various ways of doing so. Some are sort of complicated but I found a fairly simple way of doing it. Go to System Preferences>Internet Accounts>and uncheck Contacts. This did the trick but someone stated that this is only a temporary fix so I am holding my breath. So far it’s been great. See below screenshots. 

I want to thank everyone for helping me out with this. Thanks to you guys I can forget about repasting.  One last question though - since you also are using MacsFanControl, after start up why does it take so long to stabilize? Mine jumps all over and doesn’t settle on the chosen preset for around an hour or so.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 1:08 PM in response to den.thed

At first I glanced over the activity monitor, as you suggested, but I guess my mind was set on something else because I didn’t notice it until a few days later. I did a lot of Googling and to make a long story short, someone somewhere mentioned a thing called “AddressBookSourceSync” that was utilizing most of his CPU. I went back to activity monitor and sure as heck, this was using 97% of my CPU. I had to check around to find out how to quit this “activity”. There are various ways of doing so. Some are sort of complicated but I found a fairly simple way of doing it. Go to System Preferences>Internet Accounts>and uncheck Contacts. This did the trick but someone stated that this is only a temporary fix so I am holding my breath. So far it’s been great. See below screenshots. 

I want to thank everyone for helping me out with this. Thanks to you guys I can forget about repasting.  One last question though - since you also are using MacsFanControl, after start up why does it take so long to stabilize? Mine jumps all over and doesn’t settle on the chosen preset for around an hour or so.

Dec 12, 2020 7:39 AM in response to DdSwift

1) Go to Applications > Utility > open the Activity Monitor and check for any runaway or failed process.

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

2) What utility are you using to see the 80C temp. read out?

Does it report temp's for the CPU and GPU?

Does it report the fan speed?

The value's are in Fahrenheit, but this is MacFanControl readout for one of my 2012 Mac Mini's.

Thanks to > https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

3) I currently have 4 Mac Mini's in service, a 2010, a 2011 and two 2012 models.

The 2011 was given to me with exactly the same symptoms as you're 2012.

It had bad thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU/GPU chips.

It was so bad, the fan would go into full blast after a few minutes.

After cleaning and replacing the paste, it works as expected.

It doesn't seem to have any permanent damage.

Thanks to iFixit Mac Mini Repair

Dec 12, 2020 9:29 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the quick response. I am using Mac Fan Control to monitor and set fan speed.

The above screenshot was taken while no apps or programs were being used, other than the monitoring ones shown in the tool bar. According to apple and intel, these temps are fine but I'm still concerned. My research states that either I should leave it alone or change paste. My concern is that will these temps be damaging in the long run. I purchased my mini in Jan of 2014 so it has basically been running for 7 years. I'm hoping it will last another 5 or so. I'm only using it for internet research and doing spreadsheets.

Dec 12, 2020 12:15 PM in response to den.thed

Nice. Tomorrow is our day with the grand kids. My daughter is being selfish with them due to this covid thing.

Anyway, this is the way my fan control has been set for quite some time. Sometimes I'll change it to "full blast" and within a couple of minutes all the temps drop by about 10 - 15 degrees C. I can increase the fan speed to 2500 with no change in temps.

I was a little confused that the mini's housing is pretty cool but the inside sensors are telling another story. Then I put my hand near the mini's exhaust vent in the back and the air coming out is real hot so obviously the sensors are correct.

I googled around and concluded that the CPU proximity sensor is the one to monitor but it is always around 20 degrees C lower than the others and that is worring to me. I am planning on changing the paste but it's not something that I am looking forward to do but I see no other alternative.

Dec 19, 2020 7:12 AM in response to DdSwift

You're welcome. Now you see why I asked you to look in the Activity Monitor first.

You're using Auto...... try using Custom..... Based on CPU or GPU.....

and set the Temp that fan will start at 130-145F and Max at 185-190F

That way the fan will only gradually start speeding up, as the temp climbs above the lower temp.

Dec 12, 2020 12:59 PM in response to DdSwift

Set the fan sensor to CPU average and not proximity.

I would say set the ramping to start at a lower temp

and set max fan speed at 80.

Another thought, have you ever taken your Mini apart?

Since 2012 it is bound to have accumulated lots of dust,

fuzz, etc. that acts as an insulator. Even the fan could have some

blockage restricting its flow

As far as "repasting" that is generally a no-no and if the thermal

paste was a problem it would have shown up long ago.

Dec 12, 2020 2:25 PM in response to woodmeister50

woodmeister50, thanks for your input. I have been cleaning (blowing out) my mini every couple of years os so. The last time was about two weeks ago and there was only a little fuzz around the input above the wifi antenna. I have been playing around with fan speeds for about a week now. Naturally at full blast the temperatures are at their lowest - low to mid 70C. I wouldn't want to keep the fan always set to 5500 rpm. I think I will let it run a couple of days at it's current setting which is a constant 3200 rpm. CPU average is around 78 and CPU proximity is 57. I don't think they will increase much under load since the load is pretty small.

I replaced the fan about a year ago and this one is pretty quiet. My hearing has also decayed a little over the last year but my wife hasn't mentioned it. Hopefully she won't hear it at 3200 rpm either. Changing thermal paste is still up in the air.

I'll let you know what happens after running at 3200 or if I make another change.

Dec 12, 2020 2:35 PM in response to DdSwift

woodmeister50 is spot on.

Lower the start setting and increase the max. setting.

I also agree that your fan and heatsink could be clogged with dust and needs to be blown out.

Repasting would be the last resort. If it comes down to that, make sure that the heat sink is not warped and sits flatly on both the CPC and GPU chips before repasting and remounting it.

Dec 14, 2020 1:52 PM in response to den.thed

OK. This is getting weird. I have the fan speed set at a constant 2500 rpm. With all apps closed and the monitor off, the CPU average temp is in the high 80C. With the monitor on and apps open, and as I write this the temp has dropped to 53C. It seems that the more use it gets, the cooler it gets. Any ideas? Thanks for your support.

Dec 15, 2020 2:40 PM in response to DdSwift

Did you check the Activity Monitor like I suggested in my first post, to see if there are any high CPU processes running? There are a few macOS process that run in the background when the Mac is otherwise idle from user app's.

I was also kind of wondering if maybe the heat sink cooling tube was/is clogged by a dust bunny. Think I would remove the fan again and vigorously blow air thru the heat sink cooling tubes to make sure that they are clear.

My 2012 mini is running mid to high 80C idling or working. Is it time for a paste change?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.