Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - App Store Update issue when Multiple local Accounts are setup

I have several local accounts setup on my Mac Mini (2004 Late Edition).

With the Big Sur Upgrade, each account informs me that the same App Store applications need updating, even though I have updated them already within another account.

Something seems wrong here.

Take for example Xcode - I only installed this under one account, and when updated under that account, it's shown as being needing updating in all the other accounts... so I guess this isn't the same as Microsoft's wasteful local account installation... or perhaps a bug in MacOS.

Would like to get this sorted out, as the updates in other accounts tend not to ... update, and instead just remain on an Updating status.... whilst chewing up CPU.

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 6:37 AM

2 replies

Dec 16, 2020 8:09 AM in response to svaardt

Hello svaardt,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're seeing a badge notification for an App Store update on multiple user accounts on your Mac. We'll be happy to help.

Are you experiencing this behavior in macOS Big Sur version 11.1? If you haven't tried yet, we suggest to restart your Mac in safe mode. This helps to perform a basic check of your startup disk, deletes some system caches and more. Here's an article with more information and the proper steps to take: How to use safe mode on your Mac Once you're in safe mode, please restart your Mac as normal and see if you continue to experience the same behavior.

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Jan 19, 2021 8:41 AM in response to Joseph_S.

I gave up. I tied all and it all went badly wrong.

Big Slur on my Mac 2014 late edition, didn't appear to work - certainly it was slow to the point of being useless.

I've reverted back to a much earlier version of MacOS that supports both 32 & 64 bit apps... and baring the App Store issues basic things seem to work.

It's a pity. Mac's use to be solid, working things, but now, if you don't onboard the hardware upgrade cycle (just like the iPhone) then what used to be a good piece of hardware suddenly turns into a paperweight. I'm ever rapidly loosing what faith/trust I had in Apple. And my continued voicing of these complaints are apparently resulting in me being targeted too with Childish breaches of the contractual support obligation of product ownership with their insurance...

For me, it's too late, but for others, just like those living under the Sword of Damocles of the CCP... don't argue / disagree with them... it will only get you into bigger trouble.

Big Sur - App Store Update issue when Multiple local Accounts are setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.