Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My own music in iTunes

Hi-I used to have iTunes Match, but it no longer exists.

My question is whether the music I have ripped from CD's into iTunes stays on my computer or gets uploaded to the cloud? I would like to be able to access "my own" music from other devices.

Do I need Apple Music to have the music that I uploaded available via the cloud?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:55 AM

Dr. Rich,

If you want to have the music on your computer also be available on your devices, you have two choices. Either use cloud syncing, which requires an Apple Music subscription, or use direct syncing via USB, which does not need a subscription. The latter is described in here: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

Regarding "stay on your computer," note that managing files on a computer requires that you keep one or more backups on external physical media. BTW, the so-called "iCloud backup" does not actually back up your music ( What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support ).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 10:55 AM in response to drrich711

Dr. Rich,

If you want to have the music on your computer also be available on your devices, you have two choices. Either use cloud syncing, which requires an Apple Music subscription, or use direct syncing via USB, which does not need a subscription. The latter is described in here: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

Regarding "stay on your computer," note that managing files on a computer requires that you keep one or more backups on external physical media. BTW, the so-called "iCloud backup" does not actually back up your music ( What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support ).

Dec 12, 2020 5:36 PM in response to drrich711

Dr. Rich,

Now that you have Apple Music you can set it to sync your devices. See setup steps in here:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

Yes, downloading to the device allows you to listen to music if WiFi is not available, and cellular data is either unavailable or too expensive. IMHO it is good to have a subset of your library downloaded to the device for those eventualities.

Dec 12, 2020 2:29 PM in response to ed2345

Got it. Thanks. So, I now have Apple Music, and everything should now sync across devices.

I do have on site and off site external backups.

One more question.......tell me the pros and cons to downloading the music onto devices. Clearly if you have it on the device you don't need wifi to listen, but is there any downside to downloading the library other than device storage limitations?

Lastly, the functions of the old "iTunes Match" (substituting a better iTunes copy of your music) is part of Apple Music now, correct?

Thanks again.

My own music in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.