Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail not syncing with Exchange

Hi, I’m running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro (late 2016).

For the last few weeks, Mail on my MacBook Pro mostly refuses to sync with my Exchange account.  Every few days it might sync but it is not consistent or predictable.  Mail will sync with my Google email accounts.  My Outlook app syncs fine with all accounts including Exchange (but I hate using it compared to Apple Mail).  The Exchange account is hosted by my employer (a large university).

In Mail, the Exchange account always shows that it is online and enabled, with no problems reported by Connection Doctor, even when it won’t sync.  However, it takes several seconds for Connection Doctor to connect to the Exchange account while the Gmail accounts connect immediately.  Also, the log for the Exchange account is empty, while there is information in the Gmail account logs.

My iPhone and iPad have no problems syncing using Apple Mail.  The problem thus seems to be device- and application-specific.  One other weird thing, Apple Mail no longer makes sounds, no matter how I set up sound preferences in the app or in Notification Center.

Ideas?  I’m familiar with Mac troubleshooting (I have 20 Macs in my lab) but this one has me stumped.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 3:15 PM

Mac_Mystery,

Thanks for sharing those additional details.

If you haven't already, try starting up your Mac in safe mode, and testing for the issue here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Also, to determine if the issue is user-specific or system-wide on your MacBook Pro, create a new user account, and check for it there: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Thanks!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 3:15 PM in response to Mac_Mystery

Mac_Mystery,

Thanks for sharing those additional details.

If you haven't already, try starting up your Mac in safe mode, and testing for the issue here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Also, to determine if the issue is user-specific or system-wide on your MacBook Pro, create a new user account, and check for it there: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Thanks!

Dec 31, 2020 6:34 PM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric-F,

Thanks for your suggestions. Starting up in safe mode didn't appear to change anything, though it can fix things under the hood that aren't obvious. Next, I set up a test account and configured my Exchange account in Mail. At first that didn't work. However, after deleting and setting up the Exchange account for a second time in Mail, it worked fine. After switching to my usual account, I found that Mail had started working there too! It is still working 2 weeks later so I think the problem is solved. Mail in my usual account still won't play sounds, though it will in my test account, but that's not a big deal for me. I wish I knew what was actually wrong in the first place. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Apple Mail not syncing with Exchange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.