You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

floating microphone modal will not go away

Somehow, I've enabled a dictation microphone to appear and float above all the other windows.

I don't want it to be enabled.

I have confirmed that in System Preferences > keyboard > dictation

The Dictation feature is set to "off".

However, the floating microphone remains and will sometimes trigger while I am watching a movie or youtube video, for instance.

I've tried a system reboot, force quit of all my applications, nothing seems to fix it. it just remains floating above the other windows and interfering with my work.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:53 AM

In System Preferences : Accessibility : Voice Control panel, the Enable Voice Control checkbox is a toggle to enable, or quit the floating dictation panel on the Desktop. You should be able to do this via spoken commands, after in this panel, you select the Commands… button and select the entry for Turn off voice control in the left scrollable column of the commands listing.

Turn off voice control

Tested this on Big Sur 11.0.1 and it works, provided you have no text based document open where it will want to replicate your words, and not the intended action.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2020 10:53 AM in response to yeahdef

In System Preferences : Accessibility : Voice Control panel, the Enable Voice Control checkbox is a toggle to enable, or quit the floating dictation panel on the Desktop. You should be able to do this via spoken commands, after in this panel, you select the Commands… button and select the entry for Turn off voice control in the left scrollable column of the commands listing.

Turn off voice control

Tested this on Big Sur 11.0.1 and it works, provided you have no text based document open where it will want to replicate your words, and not the intended action.

floating microphone modal will not go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.