Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro is not sending the signal to the Dell monitor via Thunderbolt 3

Hi guys! Probably, I am not the first one asking this question, but anyway... I can not connect my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) to the newly bought Dell P2721Q. I get the following message: "Scanning for signal" then "No USB Type-C signal from your device". I tried resetting NVRAM and SMC, even reinstalled macOS on that machine, but no luck. The funniest thing that it works on my second MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) with both Thunderbolt ports. And on both machines, there is the latest version of macOS Big Sur which is 11.0.1. Maybe you already heard about a similar issue and already know the answer? Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 4:52 PM

I had a similar issue. Make sure you are using the ports on the left side of the Mac. I was unable to get things to work using the right side ports. Also make sure you disable auto switching on the dell monitor. Also make sure you have a high quality thunderbolt cable as all cables are NOT made the same. It needs to be a thunderbolt compatible cable not just a standard usb-c cable. Hope this helps resolve your issue.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 4:52 PM in response to m_x_uk

I had a similar issue. Make sure you are using the ports on the left side of the Mac. I was unable to get things to work using the right side ports. Also make sure you disable auto switching on the dell monitor. Also make sure you have a high quality thunderbolt cable as all cables are NOT made the same. It needs to be a thunderbolt compatible cable not just a standard usb-c cable. Hope this helps resolve your issue.

MacBook Pro is not sending the signal to the Dell monitor via Thunderbolt 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.