Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove or modify com.apple.WebKit.Networking

I was surfing virus medical insurance sites when my Sophos Endpoint Protection ( Antivirus )

What happened: Malicious connection detected: 'C2/Generic-A' at '/Library/Apple/System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.Networking' (Technical Support reference: 1395511392)

Path: /Library/Apple/System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.Networking

I have tried many different ways to delete or rename the file to accommodate the Sophos recommendation of a "manual cleanup" but I keep getting blocked with "operation not permitted." (Even I use sudo before the mv command)

I've also tried "Command R" during reboot but could not see a way to access terminal to modify the file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

James

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 2:55 PM

Welcome, BNSsite, to Apple Support Communities!

That was, absolutely, no “virus” or any kind of malicious software (malware)!

That «Sophos Endpoint Protection ( Antivirus )» is lying to you!

Fortunately, Apple has fortified its macOS to prevent users from destroying their systems by following such misguided (to be kind) directions as you were being given!

This simply backs up what experienced users, around here, keep saying: don’t put junk, like such self-proclaimed “antivirus” programs, on your Mac!

You don’t need them, and they are often far more destructive to you Mac!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 2:55 PM in response to BNSsite

Welcome, BNSsite, to Apple Support Communities!

That was, absolutely, no “virus” or any kind of malicious software (malware)!

That «Sophos Endpoint Protection ( Antivirus )» is lying to you!

Fortunately, Apple has fortified its macOS to prevent users from destroying their systems by following such misguided (to be kind) directions as you were being given!

This simply backs up what experienced users, around here, keep saying: don’t put junk, like such self-proclaimed “antivirus” programs, on your Mac!

You don’t need them, and they are often far more destructive to you Mac!

remove or modify com.apple.WebKit.Networking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.