Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I fix my MacBook?

hello, I bought a new MacBook Air in September 2020. Recently, over the past few weeks, my MacBook has been randomly shutting down, screen freezing, and opens all my apps and does not let me close them. I will constantly get notifications that there is something wrong with my computer and tells me to click report to Apple. When I do this I don’t get any response on if the problem is fixed or how to do so. I have downloaded Norton 365 and the scans say there are no viruses on my computer. What should I do ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 10:22 AM

Hi sidonie96,

Thanks for the detailed description. Given that you bought the new MacBook Air in September, I'm guessing it uses an Intel processor, and has the Apple T2 Security Chip.

I'd recommend running a hardware test on your Mac to ensure that the issue is only with software. To do this, please see this article: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support. If no issues are found, it should show the success code ADP000. If you see a different code, Apple explains what they mean here: Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If no hardware issues are found, I'd recommend starting up in Safe Mode. This prohibits any third-party apps from running automatically at startup, and helps investigate app issues. If no issues occur in Safe Mode, but do occur in normal mode, the issue is likely related to a third-party app that runs at startup time.

If the issue continues to occur in Safe Mode, I'd recommend doing the following, and testing whether the issue persists after each step:

1. Reset NVRAM: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset the SMC: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Reinstall macOS (DO NOT ERASE YOUR DISK): How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 10:22 AM in response to sidonie96

Hi sidonie96,

Thanks for the detailed description. Given that you bought the new MacBook Air in September, I'm guessing it uses an Intel processor, and has the Apple T2 Security Chip.

I'd recommend running a hardware test on your Mac to ensure that the issue is only with software. To do this, please see this article: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support. If no issues are found, it should show the success code ADP000. If you see a different code, Apple explains what they mean here: Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If no hardware issues are found, I'd recommend starting up in Safe Mode. This prohibits any third-party apps from running automatically at startup, and helps investigate app issues. If no issues occur in Safe Mode, but do occur in normal mode, the issue is likely related to a third-party app that runs at startup time.

If the issue continues to occur in Safe Mode, I'd recommend doing the following, and testing whether the issue persists after each step:

1. Reset NVRAM: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset the SMC: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Reinstall macOS (DO NOT ERASE YOUR DISK): How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

How can I fix my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.