Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Non-Photo Item in Photos library

Photos shows that I have 6 items in my library besides photos and videos.

Those items do not show up when I create a Smart folder of items "unable to upload." But when I use Finder to look in the Users/Pictures folder I do find 6 items that aren't picture or photo file types:

• Four are Microsoft Excel worksheets (.xlsx)
  • one is a Word doc (.doc)
  • one is a Microsoft Word MHTML document (.mht).

I've tried to find these items through the Photos app so that I can export or delete them without success.

If I use Finder to move them from the Pictures folder will that also remove them from Photos?

Thanks in advance.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 9:17 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 13, 2020 12:50 PM in response to ThisGateHangsHigh

As Photos is showing "items" you should remove them. See this user Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002727

As OT recommended, I would use a smart album to search for problematic items.

You may want to search for all items, that are not in a safe, supported format. If most save items in your library are in the format JPEG or or HEIC, search with rules

• Match All
  • Photo is not JPEG
  • Photo is not HEIC

Add filename extension typical for your library.

I can find problematic items in my library by excluding these filename extensions:

In my libraries the problematic items are usually audio files or PDF files.

Dec 13, 2020 11:39 AM in response to ThisGateHangsHigh

But when I use Finder to look in the Users/Pictures folder I do find 6 items that aren't picture or photo file types:

The Users/Pictures folder is not the Photos library. Items in the Pictures Folder are not available to Photos unless they have been imported to the Library. Photos will not import these files. They are quite independent of the Photos Library.

Removing Non-Photo Item in Photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.