Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Photos library (located on an external hard drive) to iCloud

Hey everyone,

I recently had a (costly) data recovery situation and want to start using iCloud to back up my computer, but mainly my photos library. The problem is that my photos library is currently located on an external hard drive (WD 1TB My Passport), and is far too large to move back on to my mid-2015 Macbook Pro.

Are there any workarounds for this? Would a different type of external hard drive allow me to keep the photos library off my computer while still backing up to iCloud when connected?

Alternatively, if I was able to temporarily relocate my photos library to a friend's computer, log in to my iCloud account and back it up, and then remove the library from his computer, would the photos remain in my iCloud? If so, would I only be able to access them through the iCloud web browser, or would those photos also appear in my Photos OSX application where I can use all of the different functionalities (locations, facial recognition, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 5:26 PM

Quit/reopen Photos with the option/alt key held down and make the external hard drive file the system Library. Once you are sure all your photos are there, you can delete the Library from the internal drive if desired. Once you do this, the external hard drive will need to be attached to access/sync your photos. The drive should also sync to iCloud.

Photos library - Move your Library to an external storage device.       

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 5:26 PM in response to BlawkBlake

Quit/reopen Photos with the option/alt key held down and make the external hard drive file the system Library. Once you are sure all your photos are there, you can delete the Library from the internal drive if desired. Once you do this, the external hard drive will need to be attached to access/sync your photos. The drive should also sync to iCloud.

Photos library - Move your Library to an external storage device.       

Backing up Photos library (located on an external hard drive) to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.