Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo's Library On MacBook Pro

I have my photos backed up to iCloud. Yet, they continue to remain on all my devices. Then there are times that I would like to access them on my MacBook and my Library is actually missing some of the photos. I can't keep them stored on my MacBook because I don't have the room. How do I keep my photos in iCloud and just download when needed? Is it safe for me to delete the photos library from my MacBook and keep all of my photos in iCloud??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 11:55 AM

Hi

You can sync your mac library with iCloud, but choose "optimise mac storage"

That way full size originals are not downloaded, only thumbnails and previews. Full size images are downloaded only when needed (eg to edit or export). This results in dramatic reduction of space used. Typically only 20% or less of the full library size.

Also think about backup for your photos. With optimised storage you cannot backup from your mac easily, since your masters are not stored on your mac. This user tip offers a solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250001961

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 11:55 AM in response to ExMcCoy

Hi

You can sync your mac library with iCloud, but choose "optimise mac storage"

That way full size originals are not downloaded, only thumbnails and previews. Full size images are downloaded only when needed (eg to edit or export). This results in dramatic reduction of space used. Typically only 20% or less of the full library size.

Also think about backup for your photos. With optimised storage you cannot backup from your mac easily, since your masters are not stored on your mac. This user tip offers a solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250001961

Photo's Library On MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.