Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos in my Library on my Macbook Pro and in my iCloud files without also deleting them in the albums where I have sorted and placed them on the Mac?

How do I delete photos in my Library on my Macbook Pro and in my iCloud files without also deleting them in the albums where I have sorted and placed them on the Mac?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 12:42 PM

3 replies

Feb 15, 2023 2:47 PM in response to brucewindows7

Do you mean that you have pictures in a Photos Library, and you also have pictures in Finder folders?

If your pictures are in Photos Libraries on the two macs, synced with iCloud.com, then, as muggy says, syncing means they must be the same. If you have pictures in folders, they are only connected if you are using a "Referenced Library" with Photos. If that's the case, things will get complicated.

Feb 15, 2023 3:04 PM in response to brucewindows7

Simply: you don't.

Every photo is in the Library. Albums are just ad hoc gatherings of images from the Library. That means a photo can be in multiple albums but use no extra disk space. In this it's exactly like the Music app. Every song is in the Library, each playlist just references songs from the Library. Or the Contacts App. All the addressing are in the main book but you can have groupings for family or work or whatever.

So there is no duplication. Deleting from the Library will delete from the albums.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.