You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I disconnect my Fire stick if I have Apple TV?

If I have a fire stick already plugged in, should I disconnect it if I have the Apple TV plug in? Is there any benefit to having both? Which hdmi port should Apple TV be plugged into?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 5:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 8:08 AM

Can the Apple TV plug in replace the fire stick? In other words will I be able to get the same content I had on the fire stick ( Netflix etc) using only Apple TV?

6 replies

Dec 14, 2020 6:35 AM in response to my5dogs

A TV can take input from one HDMI device at a time. Having two devices with overlapping functionality is not an issue for the devices or services. You can switch between devices by selecting a different HDMI port for input on your TV (or AV receiver).

Choose any free HDMI port with matching feature and bandwidth specification.

If one of your HDMI-in ports is marked DVI, then that will not carry audio. It is best suited for connections with computers.

If one of your HDMI-in ports is marked ARC, then that is intended for connections with audio equipment (e.g. receiver or soundbar).

For Apple TV HD, use an HDMI 1.3/1.4 port or better.

For Apple TV 4K, use an HDMI 2.0 port or better.

Dec 14, 2020 6:45 AM in response to my5dogs

I have, on occasion, had an Apple TV, Firestick and Roku all plugged into the same television. It works just fine. As to benefit, well, only you can answer that. Currently, I have the FireTV stick on my older television that stopped getting updates to the "smart TV features". Buying the FireTV stick so that I could watch AppleTV+ and Disney+ on my living room television was cheaper than buying another Apple TV. The Apple TV is attached to the television that doesn't have a cable box as it has lots of apps that will let me watch a lot of my cable content on that television.

Yes, you can get Netflix and Amazon Prime on your Apple TV.

Dec 14, 2020 8:16 AM in response to my5dogs

Yes. Both the Apple TV box and the Firestick offer pretty much the same streaming content. They are essentially two devices that do the same thing.

Netflix, Amazon Prime, hulu, HBO, ESPN etc... are available on both.

There may be some gaps, so if you do find some app that is available on Firestick but not on Apple TV, you may want to keep the Firestick for that one. Its going to be a case by case basis. For the most part you should be able to find the same apps and streaming services on both.

Dec 14, 2020 8:22 AM in response to my5dogs

my5dogs wrote:

Can the Apple TV plug in replace the fire stick? In other words will I be able to get the same content I had on the fire stick ( Netflix etc) using only Apple TV?

As Phil said, there may be a few things you can get on one and not the other. But, as you already own the FireTV stick, there's no reason not to just keep it plugged in.

Should I disconnect my Fire stick if I have Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.