Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music and my own Music library

Hello,

apologies if this has already been explained but I could not find the exact answer I was looking for. I have a 72,000 song library mostly ripped from vinyl and CDs I own. I would like to try Apple Music but am worried it will affect two things;

1) my own music files as I use them to DJ with on a system called Serato

2) syncing my music to my iPhone and iPad

I have been told if I do sign up to Apple Music I could use iTunes Match and that should preserve my own files must I am not sure how that will affect syncing to my devices. Does anyone have any advice for doing this?

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 6:53 PM

Scott Ronan wrote:

Hello,
apologies if this has already been explained but I could not find the exact answer I was looking for. I have a 72,000 song library mostly ripped from vinyl and CDs I own. I would like to try Apple Music but am worried it will affect two things;
I have been told if I do sign up to Apple Music I could use iTunes Match and that should preserve my own files must I am not sure how that will affect syncing to my devices. Does anyone have any advice for doing this?

This may influence your actions. Apple Music tracks do not come with the rights to use them in a public performance. Private usage only.

I would suggest 2 unique libraries. One business, one personal. A personal library could include your CD based tracks, any iTunes purchased tracks and selected Apple Music tracks, all in one united library synced to your iCloud Music Library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 6:53 PM in response to Scott Ronan

Scott Ronan wrote:

Hello,

This may influence your actions. Apple Music tracks do not come with the rights to use them in a public performance. Private usage only.

I would suggest 2 unique libraries. One business, one personal. A personal library could include your CD based tracks, any iTunes purchased tracks and selected Apple Music tracks, all in one united library synced to your iCloud Music Library.

Dec 15, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Scott Ronan

Scott Ronan wrote:

Thats an interesting option @LACAllen, thank you. I have a couple of question though about iCloud Music Library, if you could answer I would be grateful. If I start using iCloud Music Library can I access all mown music and playlists from my HomePod and would I sync music to my devices or would it be pulled for the iCloud Music Library?

I have no experience with Homepod.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208241 & https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/music/musb58944d8f/mac

Apple Music and my own Music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.