Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to macOS Big Sur 11.1 from 11.0.1 fails

I'm having trouble updating from macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 to 11.1? I've had issues on both my 2013 Mac Pro and my 2016 13" MacBook Pro. In both cases, the upgrade appears to progress normally (you get progress bars during the reboot cycle, and you get a post-upgrade setup screen after reboot--which basically just requires re-entry of the iCloud password), but after the boot completes there is a kernel crash reporter, About This Mac still shows 11.0.1, and System Preferences still shows the 11. update as being available.

Both computers had a "clean" install to 11.0 when it was released (drive reformat, no time machine restore).

On my Mac Pro, the upgrade was successful on the second attempt. On the MacBook, I've had three failed attempts, all as described above.

Anybody else seeing this? Any suggestions?

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 4:49 PM

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and try the update from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; =

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

68 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 4:49 PM in response to KirkCoo

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and try the update from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; =

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Dec 21, 2020 9:43 AM in response to NormanBates

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  You found that out just now.

This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

Uninstall Kaspersky according to the developer's instructions.

Dec 14, 2020 4:17 PM in response to KirkCoo

I am seeing a similar issue on a 2019 iMac 27"5K. The update downloads and starts the preparation phase which stops after 5 minutes or so with a popup saying the download failed. The dialog in the box says to check the internet connection. After checking that two internet connections are okay, repeated attempts also fail.

Doing a disk first aid on the update com.apple.osupdate volume says there is an issue with the allocation.

Stuck here.

Dec 15, 2020 9:26 PM in response to roger137

I've tried to download that a couple of times also, unfortunately with the same error message either 'download failed' or 'installation failed'. It hasn't yet completed the download.

What is most frustrating is that I can download the whole 3.27 gig update file (where does it go!) yet when it get to processing it for installation the 'download failed' error occurs - even though it's already completed the download. I've done this 4 times now, trying different solutions including safe mode. It won't pick up from a downloaded file and starts from zero each download.

Yesterday all my desktop icons disappeared, I have a sneaky suspicion this is something to do with iCloud credentials or certificates. The log files show "The connection to ACDAccountStore was invalidated"....

Dec 16, 2020 8:27 PM in response to BPHoh

Same, safe mode makes no difference for me either. I also signed out of iCloud and back in to see if it was a credentials issue, all that did was give me another 138GB download as it restored the desktop and documents folders unnecessarily. Oh, it also removed the ability for my Apple Watch to unlock the iMac and I'm not doing it again just to have to download files for 12h.

I also discovered cloning the disk (can you tell I'm getting nervous?) doesn't work either, due to a 'broken seal'. This seems very beta to me right now.

Dec 18, 2020 11:14 PM in response to FrankKwok

Thanks sikeer666 . I’m afraid this hasn’t worked either. I do think we shouldn’t be having to go through all this palaver and that Apple should fix the update so it can be seamlessly installed. There is clearly a problem with the update if so many of us are having problems. I don’t think I can do anything else so think I will have to wait for a fix for this.

Update to macOS Big Sur 11.1 from 11.0.1 fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.