Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TouchID bug after updating OS to Big Sur

I just updated to Big Sur and no longer able to unlock using TouchID, only with password. There are several forums online that suggested deleting any existing fingerprints and adding them again, but once I deleted mine, it wouldn't even allow me to add a new one. Nothing happens when I click "Add Fingerprint."

The other suggestion that appears to work for some people is resetting SMC, but I think I will refrain from trying anything else for now and just hope that Apple addresses this issue soon.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 9:36 AM

Update: found another method without having to reset SMC. Originally posted by user James Cushing on stackexchange.com:

"The fix for me was actually the steps before resetting the SMC, so I didn't need to do an SMC reset. Here are those simple steps:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
  3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Source: How to reset the SMC of your Mac by Apple

Worth noting I did first remove all existing Touch ID fingerprints from my Mac before doing this."

This worked for me! Was able to add new fingerprints and can now unlock using TouchID.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 9:36 AM in response to kaayelle

Update: found another method without having to reset SMC. Originally posted by user James Cushing on stackexchange.com:

"The fix for me was actually the steps before resetting the SMC, so I didn't need to do an SMC reset. Here are those simple steps:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
  3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Source: How to reset the SMC of your Mac by Apple

Worth noting I did first remove all existing Touch ID fingerprints from my Mac before doing this."

This worked for me! Was able to add new fingerprints and can now unlock using TouchID.

Dec 17, 2020 8:23 AM in response to kaayelle

Ok, here's the weirdest. I had this problem too. Driving me nuts since I updated yesterday. Seems I have had problems with entering my password as well. For instance, I was looking for a solution to the touchID problem and found this entry. I wanted to push "I have this question too", and wanted to log in to easier keep track of any answers. . Safari was prompting to enter my password, and I couldn't do it, so I searched the net for a solution to be able to enter my password, and voila, after following the instructions I could enter my password to sign it here att Apple, and the bonus was that TouchID seems to work again. Please follow the instructions here: https://appletoolbox.com/cant-enter-your-password-in-macos-big-sur-heres-how-to-fix-it/. Hope it works for you, too.

TouchID bug after updating OS to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.