Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch id not working

After the last MacOS upgrade (Big Sur 11.2.3), touch ID stopped working. I deleted all three fingerprints and reentered them, using different fingers, but it still will not recognize any fingerprint. I have to enter my password for each login now.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:17 AM

Use Touch ID on Mac

Sometimes, one must apply more force with Finger Tip to Sensor Pad for it to register. If not successful, restart in Safe Mode SHIFT immediately at startup and try and Test. Still not working - How to reset the SMC of your Mac and do it 3 times consecutively - this applies to Intel CPU. If it is the New Apple Silicon M1 CPU - shutdown and then HOLD the Power / Toiuch ID Button ( same thing ) for 10 seconds. Then start normal and test again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 7:17 AM in response to grover0

Use Touch ID on Mac

Sometimes, one must apply more force with Finger Tip to Sensor Pad for it to register. If not successful, restart in Safe Mode SHIFT immediately at startup and try and Test. Still not working - How to reset the SMC of your Mac and do it 3 times consecutively - this applies to Intel CPU. If it is the New Apple Silicon M1 CPU - shutdown and then HOLD the Power / Toiuch ID Button ( same thing ) for 10 seconds. Then start normal and test again.

touch id not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.