You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MBA and Class Compliant MIDI Controller

I'm trying to use my Allen&Heath Xone:K2 MIDI Controller on my new M1 MacBook Air and while the device shows up in USB System report and MIDI Studio, it never shows up as "Online" and there is no MIDI information coming through when testing with MIDI Monitor and other software. Here's how it show's in the M1:

I have tried switching cables, adapters and USB hubs. I know the controller is OK as it works fine on my older 2018 MBP on Big Sur, as well as with my iPad. Also the audio device onboard this unit also works, it's just the MIDI data that is not coming through. I reached out to Allen&Heath and they've indicated that the device is Class Compliant and should just work.

Anyone run into a similar issue or have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 11:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 3:59 AM

I have this exact issue with my M1 MacBook Pro.

I've been onto A&H and they say they've found it's not compatible following on from a few reports like this. They wouldn't give a time scale for it being fixed and basically blame Apple. They've actually updated the info on their website now as well.

I suspect it is going to need a firmware upgrade, which I wouldn't hold your breath for. Though you never know it might something on the OS/Laptop side.

There's definitely something weird with it all because my class complaint Korg keyboard works fine.

I've started looking for another controller because the overall tone of A&H's response was not positive. Not that I can find anything that anyone is willing to say if it actually work on the M1 Macs or not.

I really wish I could bring you better news.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2020 3:59 AM in response to Trovador

I have this exact issue with my M1 MacBook Pro.

I've been onto A&H and they say they've found it's not compatible following on from a few reports like this. They wouldn't give a time scale for it being fixed and basically blame Apple. They've actually updated the info on their website now as well.

I suspect it is going to need a firmware upgrade, which I wouldn't hold your breath for. Though you never know it might something on the OS/Laptop side.

There's definitely something weird with it all because my class complaint Korg keyboard works fine.

I've started looking for another controller because the overall tone of A&H's response was not positive. Not that I can find anything that anyone is willing to say if it actually work on the M1 Macs or not.

I really wish I could bring you better news.

Dec 21, 2020 8:09 AM in response to DJ Nasty Fingers

Thanks for the update, it’s good to know I’m not alone figuring this one out. I’ve had an extensive email thread with A&H support and so far they’ve said it’s on their eng list, so perhaps they do provide a firmware update. Would be nice as this is a great controller which I use for DJing as well as OBS control and video editing.

M1 MBA and Class Compliant MIDI Controller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.