Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing External Hard Drive after Big Sur update, help please

Hey everyone

Just updated to big sur, wish I didn't bother.

My thunderbolt external Lacie drive is now not seen in finder however is still seen on the desktop mounted drives so still have access to the files.

Typically it's the hard drive that has all my photos on and is not seen by lightroom either.

I've tried disk utility to repair it and said it's all ok. Tried rebooting and disconnecting drive, no joy either.

It is formatted as Mac os extended so I'm wondering if it's this that's causing the issue. I'm currently moving the photos to another hard drive and will format it APFS instead. Only another 7 hrs to go before transfer finishes lol. Odd thing is other external hard drives I've got are working normally and are also Mac OS extended.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 11:48 AM

My thunderbolt external Lacie drive is now not seen in finder however is still seen on the desktop mounted drives so still have access to the files.

I don't understand how "not seen in finder" and "still seen on the desktop" makes any sense. The desktop is the Finder. If you can open the drive from the "desktop mounted drives" you are seeing it in the Finder.

Is it just missing from the Sidebar?

Have you checked the Sidebar tab in the Finder Preferences to make sure drives are included in the Locations section?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 11:48 AM in response to cyeoman06

I don't understand how "not seen in finder" and "still seen on the desktop" makes any sense. The desktop is the Finder. If you can open the drive from the "desktop mounted drives" you are seeing it in the Finder.

Have you checked the Sidebar tab in the Finder Preferences to make sure drives are included in the Locations section?

Jan 16, 2021 8:29 AM in response to cyeoman06

I can't get my desktop icons to appear on MacBook Pro 2019 16" desktop. I did it yesterday and it disappeared in less than 1 hr. it took 6 hrs to get them the first time. I now find them in Big Sur in the "about this Mac" and in the "storage section". I can't move them however. and I can't save to one another with Hard Drives and photo memory cards. I still can't get them on my desktop for a second and final time. thank you for the information it is appreciated.

alison black

Feb 14, 2021 11:03 AM in response to cyeoman06

I have a similar but slightly different experience with Big Sur and Thunderbolt. The core issue is that TB and LAN connectivity randomly disappears and cannot be recovered without a reboot. This occurred immediately after upgrading to Big Sur. Sadly I didn't fall back immediately.

Environment: 2017 iMac 27" Retina 5K, 16GB ram, 3 TB hdd, QNAP 882TB3 NAS, multiple LaCie TB2 & TB3 external hdd's.

The LaCie drives faithfully appear as external drives, and are accessible in the Finder. The QNAP NAS links on start-up, I can log on using the TB3 connection and add NAS drives to the finder accessing them directly from the finder. No worries - at first.

Periodically the QNAP TB connection is dropped at what appears to be random intervals. I have not discovered the trigger event that causes the connections to drop. The NAS as well as the attached drives disappear and cannot be accessed. When this happens, the LaCie external drives almost always remain accessible. This can happen within minutes of start--up or the connectivity may remain stable for an entire work day.

On occasion, I lose all LAN connectivity as well. I cannot connect to either an RJ-45 or wireless LAN. Other devices on the wired and wireless LAN work normally. Attached iPads, iPhones, laptops all are able to access the QNAP NAS and LAN normally.

The only solution I've found is to reboot and hope for the best.

This all occurred immediately after upgrading to Big Sur. None of the OS X upgrades have helped.

I'd like to fall back, but that brings a host of issues as well.

Apr 1, 2021 9:45 PM in response to wfuson

I'm having the same issue. My la ice ext drive and my sandisk card drive are not showing up in finder. However as my computer is now too old, I can't upgrade to Big Sur; this is happening with an upgrade I've just received for Mojave (so downgrading for you guys sounds like it wasn't a solution either).

I can see and access the la cie drives on my desk top but the sandisk card drive is not showing. I can't find either anywhere in applications but if I disconnect either of them the notification is telling me I'm ejecting (improperly) the la cie and the sandisk respectively?

Did anyone find the solution?

Apr 1, 2021 9:50 PM in response to johilde

Oops...Sorry

Barney-15E

... don't understand how "not seen in finder" and "still seen on the desktop" makes any sense. The desktop is the Finder. If you can open the drive from the "desktop mounted drives" you are seeing it in the Finder.

I had not read thoroughly, your response. It was the locations tab. It had closed obviously with the upgrade I had run this morning. I've never known it to do that so it didn't occur to me to check it...

Thank you

Missing External Hard Drive after Big Sur update, help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.