Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview search error on 10.15.7

I used to use Acrobat Pro 8 when combining pdfs but it no longer works after upgrading to Catalina. So, I've used Preview to combine two fully searchable pdfs that contain text only. However, when I open the newly combined pdf and use the search window to find results for a particular word, for some reason it only gives me the uppercase results. And if I'm searching for a word that only appears in lowercase in the pdf, the search doesn't show any results at all. I've tried closing and reopening Preview, quitting and reopening and also restarting computer. Has anyone experienced and resolved this issue? Or can you recommend a free app that allows me to combine pdfs. Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 8:12 PM

I've found an easier way. Instead of following the directions from Apple and several online tutorials about how to combine files using Preview, I instead simply opened one pdf in Preview, dragged a second pdf in to the thumbnail area above the first pdf and clicked file, save. This combines the two pdfs so need to export as per advice from all those tutorials. I then closed the newly combined pdf and renamed it. The search function works fine doing it this way.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 8:12 PM in response to PreviewSearchError

I've found an easier way. Instead of following the directions from Apple and several online tutorials about how to combine files using Preview, I instead simply opened one pdf in Preview, dragged a second pdf in to the thumbnail area above the first pdf and clicked file, save. This combines the two pdfs so need to export as per advice from all those tutorials. I then closed the newly combined pdf and renamed it. The search function works fine doing it this way.

Preview search error on 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.