Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mail copying all inbox to archive

I just upgrade to Big Sur and notice in mac mail that all my messages in the inbox folder are being copied to the Archive folder. IN the mailbox behaviors settings the archive mailbox goes to [gmail]/All Mail. When I go gmail I don't see the archive folder. I can't change the behavior to another folder.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 8:16 PM

You are seeing, now, how Gmail works. Unlike IMAP or POP, Gmail can put a message into multiple folders. It actually uses “Labels” which are like tags. A message can have multiple labels, and the translation to IMAP is the message appearing in multiple folders.

Mail maps All Mail to the Archive folder. You won’t see “Archive” in Gmail as it is the “All Mail” label.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 8:16 PM in response to elrito77

You are seeing, now, how Gmail works. Unlike IMAP or POP, Gmail can put a message into multiple folders. It actually uses “Labels” which are like tags. A message can have multiple labels, and the translation to IMAP is the message appearing in multiple folders.

Mail maps All Mail to the Archive folder. You won’t see “Archive” in Gmail as it is the “All Mail” label.

mac mail copying all inbox to archive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.