Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I get a 1440p monitor for my 16 inch MacBook Pro?

When I tried plugging it in to my 1080p monitor, the text were jagged and blurry. After doing a bit of research I found out it was something regarding macOS poor support for 1080p screens, and that people usually go for the Ultrafine or 4k lineup. I tried everything to resolve it including font smoothing and force RGB mode. (I was using a usb c monitor) and the font still looks blurry. So I ended up refunding the monitor.

4k is a little bit above my budget, and I've heard few people have a similar issue even with a 1440p. monitor. Can anyone in a similar situation verify that a 1440p monitor is ideal?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 4:38 AM

It’s not ‘poor support’ it’s managing expectations. Your Mac’s internal display is a Retina display. To get similar sharpness on an external display, you’d need a 4K display but set to 1080 resolution. A 1440p display set to a lower resolution will be better, but still not as crisp as your internal screen.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 4:38 AM in response to LalithSai

It’s not ‘poor support’ it’s managing expectations. Your Mac’s internal display is a Retina display. To get similar sharpness on an external display, you’d need a 4K display but set to 1080 resolution. A 1440p display set to a lower resolution will be better, but still not as crisp as your internal screen.

Should I get a 1440p monitor for my 16 inch MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.