Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a keyboard cover for MacBook Pro

Is this still true? I am a veterinarian and it is a dirty job! I ordered a CaseBuy protective film. It is ultra thin..but I can send it back if it is still not advised

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies

Dec 17, 2020 8:21 AM in response to tiftdvm

Apple says no in that article linked at the top of this page, but does not show what thicknesses are enough to be a problem. If used in an office/lab setting and you never close the "lid," the cover could not mark the dispaly If you have to close it to move from one exam room to another, that could be a problem.

Remember that the MBP Retina display like yours is sealed and, if damged, requires the replacement of the entire upper unit. The screen cover is not separately replaceable. Costs runs in the US$500-650 range based on reports here. Caveat emptor!

Some older MacBook Pros "breathe" through the spaces between the keys so any keyboardcover was slow death through overheating. Many—not all—newer ones have air intakes low on the sides; a cover would not occlude those. This is from a 2015 model but the 2019 16-inchers are similar:

Were my MBP lacking side intakes, I would be reluctant to cover the keyboard.

Using a keyboard cover for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.