You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Midi not working properly on M1 MacBook Pro

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help here.

Firstly my hardware is M1 MacBook Pro (1TB/16GB) and an Allen & Heath Xone:K2. The K2 doesn't need drivers and A&H say it is compatible with Mac OS 11 anyway.

When I connect the K2 it is detected and registers both the audio interface and the midi device to the system and they both appear in the Audio Midi Setup utility.

This is where things go wonky. The audio interface works as expected but the midi device part, despite showing as registered, does not send any midi signals. When ‘Test Setup” is on there is no response at all. Additionally Traktor and Logic can’t see the device or find its port.

When I view the device properties from the midi studio window it does appear like the device isn’t connected even though it is.

Midi on the Mac is working as my Korg midi keyboard is detected and works as expected.

The K2 itself works fine when I connect it to my old MacBook, so I know it still works, just not on the new Mac.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 2:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 10:48 AM

Yup,

I bought a MacBook Pro M1 specifically for gigging....it’s basically a friggin brick. Midi interfaces don’t work. Gig performer has audio handling issues, can use BandHelper.

Apple made a mess out of this yet again....hardware before developer inclusion and software compatibility..

irresponsible. Where is the next Jobs because clearly the care for customers take a back seat to profit, innovation and expanding the brand in a responsible manner.

apple.....do better...you owe it to us. NO EXCUSES.

Similar questions

62 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2021 10:48 AM in response to lonnymac

Yup,

I bought a MacBook Pro M1 specifically for gigging....it’s basically a friggin brick. Midi interfaces don’t work. Gig performer has audio handling issues, can use BandHelper.

Apple made a mess out of this yet again....hardware before developer inclusion and software compatibility..

irresponsible. Where is the next Jobs because clearly the care for customers take a back seat to profit, innovation and expanding the brand in a responsible manner.

apple.....do better...you owe it to us. NO EXCUSES.

Dec 30, 2020 12:24 PM in response to soultan240

I have a BCR2000. I have been trying to troubleshoot it with Pocket MIDI and BC Manager.

It seems that it works under Big Sur on intel based macbook, but not on the M1.

-BCR is recognized properly in Audio Midi Setup

-input and output ports are created, and can be selected in apps

-input (from BCR to M1) works okay in CC and Sysex commands

-output (from M1 to BCR) does not work in any way, same hardware and software in intel works.

if anybody can give me any pointer where to dig, I am happy to help.

May 12, 2021 4:03 AM in response to DJ Nasty Fingers

Hi everyone!

I have the same identical problem with Moog Slim Phatty.

My Macbook air M1 (Big Sur 11.3.1) recognize all my external usb/midi devices (Korg SV1 keyboard; Waldorf Blofeld synth; Behringer umc1820 audio interface; Akai APC40 controler; Midistart music 25 midi keyboard) except Moog Slim Phatty! No one of these devices needed an update (or a driver) to be recognized by the computer.

Slim Phatty is recognized in the Midi Configuration window but the icon is transparent. It appears like not turned on. In all the other devices is selected "on" automatically. There's no way to select "on" manually in the icons. I tried with another macbook m1 Big Sur and it was the same. With my old macbook pro (intel i7, OS 10.13.6) everything works fine.

Slim Phatty is updated to the latest firmware.

I contacted Apple and they said that it is a manufacturing problem.

I contacted a Waldorf technician, just to ask if Blofeld works with M1, and he gave me this answer: "USB is a fixed protocol and therefore independent of the system (Windows/Mac) or operating system OS". BTW, I asked Moog as well before buying my macbook but they didn't answer me and they still don't answer me even now that I wrote them about this problem.

Conclusion. I'm seeing here that a lot of people have the same problem with several devices therefore, maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that it is an Apple problem.

Thanx in advance to all those who will help us to solve, in some way, this issues!

May 12, 2021 6:22 AM in response to kolelaca

After over a month of chasing down empty leads and possible fixes I finally came to the conclusion that this is an M1 chip issue and I returned my new MacBook Pro. Apple was very understanding and didn’t even quibble about the fact that I was well over the 30 day return period. That tells me that they know they have a problem. Back to my 2012 MacBook Pro! It’s slow but still works like a champ!

Dec 21, 2020 4:06 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I have already been through all of these steps before posting here.

Since making this post I've been onto A&H and they have said its currently not supported on M1 Macs and basically blame the Apple side of things.

Having been through this rigmarole several times in the past with different hardware and software not working on new operating systems and hardware, coupled with the overall negative tone of A&H's response; I'm not holding out any hope that this will be sorted anytime soon, if ever.

Dec 20, 2020 2:13 PM in response to DJ Nasty Fingers

Hello DJ Nasty Fingers,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that your Midi is not working with your M1 MacBook Pro. We're happy to help!

Below is an article that will provide some help for you with the Midi.

Set up MIDI devices using Audio MIDI Setup on Mac

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Feb 9, 2021 6:25 AM in response to DJ Nasty Fingers

Thanks for the input everyone.

I too was hoping the 11.2 update would fix it. I have reported the to apple via the feedback form and to tech support.

I've console too, I can see the connection but I get the same error as sinm pointed out.

I spent 2 months scouring support forums for anything that might help and come up with nothing other than more devices that aren't working. I asked A&H for an update but they've yet to get back to me, its been a week so I'm not holding my breath.

So off the back of that I've just bought a Native instruments X1, which according to NI is compatible with both Big Sur and M1 Macs.

I'll report back when it's arrived.

Feb 9, 2021 8:08 AM in response to DJ Nasty Fingers

I have a Traktor F1 and can tell you that it works perfectly, both in native and in MIDI mode.

Just got a reply from Allen & Heath, here's what they say:

This is something that we are currently aware of and our software team is investigating.The K2 is Core-compliant on Mac, so there is nothing to fix. As it currently stands, the new M1 system is not working with the K2. Hopefully, we will have some more information and a workaround on this soon.
The K2 is, therefore, currently unsupported on this platform until further notice.

At least they're aware of it. Hopefully a solution is coming, before clubs open again! 😉

DJ Nasty Fingers wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone.

I too was hoping the 11.2 update would fix it. I have reported the to apple via the feedback form and to tech support.

I've console too, I can see the connection but I get the same error as sinm pointed out.

I spent 2 months scouring support forums for anything that might help and come up with nothing other than more devices that aren't working. I asked A&H for an update but they've yet to get back to me, its been a week so I'm not holding my breath.

So off the back of that I've just bought a Native instruments X1, which according to NI is compatible with both Big Sur and M1 Macs.

I'll report back when it's arrived.

Midi not working properly on M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.