Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

up date to OS big sur now hp 1012printer not working

I up-dated my Mac to macOS BigSur, now my HP 1012 laser jet will not work. Called Apple, they said it was not their problem. They did try and walk me through some things, but nothing worked.

Went to the HP site, HP does not support this printer anymore. I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this problem. I hate to trash this great printer!

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 9:26 AM

I am sorry you are having printer problems. If you will bear with me, I will offer some things to consider. Whenever we install an operating system upgrade or some OS updates, some printers and scanners will often stop working. Then a new OS compliant printer driver must be installed, as you know. Experience has shown that many printer manufacturers are very slow to provide updated drivers. Drivers for some older printers are never provided. (Apparently, they prefer to sell new printers.) What we can do is to thoroughly check the printer web site for an updated driver that works. If one is not available, then we should ask if and when one will be released. If that doesn't work, if the Printer has the Air Print feature, that can be used and no driver will be needed. If not, then you can check the web site below where volunteers write drivers for older printers which are no longer supported, but which work with newer operating systems. It is worth checking out. Good luck.

Gutenprint Supported Printers

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 9:26 AM in response to smgall1004

I am sorry you are having printer problems. If you will bear with me, I will offer some things to consider. Whenever we install an operating system upgrade or some OS updates, some printers and scanners will often stop working. Then a new OS compliant printer driver must be installed, as you know. Experience has shown that many printer manufacturers are very slow to provide updated drivers. Drivers for some older printers are never provided. (Apparently, they prefer to sell new printers.) What we can do is to thoroughly check the printer web site for an updated driver that works. If one is not available, then we should ask if and when one will be released. If that doesn't work, if the Printer has the Air Print feature, that can be used and no driver will be needed. If not, then you can check the web site below where volunteers write drivers for older printers which are no longer supported, but which work with newer operating systems. It is worth checking out. Good luck.

Gutenprint Supported Printers

Dec 18, 2020 10:16 PM in response to smgall1004

Hi,

You may want to have look at the Dec 11, 2020 version of HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

(an HP LaserJet 1012 is at least mentioned in Apple's no longer updated list over supported printer models).

If necessary, there is also an hp-lj_1012 HP LaserJet 1012 driver in the Gutenprint list.

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

up date to OS big sur now hp 1012printer not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.