Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset macbook air

Hi,

I tried to reset my macbook air and now it turns on with a black screen with a blinking folder containing a question mark. The mac wont respond anymore. Could you please assist me in how to solve this issue?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 10:47 AM

The solution is to boot macOS Recovery again and use Disk Utility to completely erase the entire storage device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Step 4. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

For the file system format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Steps 1 and 8 are optional and inapplicable respectively.

Then, you should be able to install Yosemite.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 10:47 AM in response to wownicolino

The solution is to boot macOS Recovery again and use Disk Utility to completely erase the entire storage device.

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Step 4. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

For the file system format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Steps 1 and 8 are optional and inapplicable respectively.

Then, you should be able to install Yosemite.

Dec 18, 2020 8:31 AM in response to wownicolino

In that case follow these instructions: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

It sounds as though you are at Step 7, erase your hard drive and reinstall macOS. If you follow that link, its Step 8 explains how to reinstall macOS. Scroll all the way to the end of that document which describes "Other macOS installation options." Those options differ for the macOS version that had been installed prior to erasing it. I would follow the second one:

• On an Intel-based Mac that previously used macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R at startup to install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. 

Or, just give away that Mac the way it is and let its next owner decide what to do. That's easiest.

Dec 18, 2020 8:22 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John, this is my old Mac and I tried to reset it in order to give it away. so I restarted, waited until the computer turned off, hold Command + R until the Apple logo appeared. then went to disk utility, earased data and when finally tried to reinstall mac, I had a black screen with a blinking folder with a question mark. What did I do wrong, and how can I solve it please? Thanks a lot in advance.

reset macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.