Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I buy Final Cut Pro?

I've been using iMovie HD 06 and iDVD with excellent success to make DVDs but now I have the need to make Blu-rays. (I use a Mac "frozen" to 10.9.5 for this work. I have a new Mac Pro with 10.15.7 also.)

My editing needs are VERY simple, and several programs do this for me like QuickTime and Movavi. My stumbling block is a program for making Blu-rays WITH Chapter names (just like any studio release would have.)

An Internet search shows several Mac programs for authoring Blu-rays, NONE have the ability to create chapter markers and give them names. (Frustratingly, many such programs exist for Windows.)

I have Toast, but shockingly you cannot name Chapter Titles! Toast will just number them 0-8, etc. You cannot create a name for a chapter. Also, you cannot add your own background to the chapter menu. All of these things are super-easy to do with iMovie HD 06 and iDVD.

How can I get this capability to make a Blu-ray?

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 7:25 PM

Yes, you can bring bring a still image in.

Below is a screen shot highlighting the Insert Background field:

Some of the canned FCP presets have a motion effect, no customising though.

These are accessed from the Disc Template field.

Here are a few screen shots of an actual Bluray I created quickly:

The arrow points to the Marker icon.

You either select the Play icon or the Marker icon.

This is what opens when the Marker icon is pressed:

When your first Marker is added into the Timeline an auto inserted Marker is also added for the START, as shown.

All other Markers default to Marker 2, Marker 3 etc.

However the Marker 2, for example, can be customised to whatever name you manually type as shown in the above screen shot. I typed, "My Marker Als", then Marker 3 to "My Super Duper Marker" etc.

The usual limits of Markers apply, 99 I recall for one Timeline.

Compressor has pretty much the same features as FCP, the big difference is Compressor has control of the output.

FCP has no control over output settings, it has fixed data rates, dimensions etc.

Al

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 7:25 PM in response to Ziatron

Yes, you can bring bring a still image in.

Below is a screen shot highlighting the Insert Background field:

Some of the canned FCP presets have a motion effect, no customising though.

These are accessed from the Disc Template field.

Here are a few screen shots of an actual Bluray I created quickly:

The arrow points to the Marker icon.

You either select the Play icon or the Marker icon.

This is what opens when the Marker icon is pressed:

When your first Marker is added into the Timeline an auto inserted Marker is also added for the START, as shown.

All other Markers default to Marker 2, Marker 3 etc.

However the Marker 2, for example, can be customised to whatever name you manually type as shown in the above screen shot. I typed, "My Marker Als", then Marker 3 to "My Super Duper Marker" etc.

The usual limits of Markers apply, 99 I recall for one Timeline.

Compressor has pretty much the same features as FCP, the big difference is Compressor has control of the output.

FCP has no control over output settings, it has fixed data rates, dimensions etc.

Al

Dec 18, 2020 5:45 PM in response to Ziatron

There is a 90 day free trial:

https://www.apple.com/au/final-cut-pro/trial/

FCP will do what you want regards unique Marker Names.

BUT, do not expect the customisation of the old iDVD.

There are Backgrounds supplied in limited numbers and a still custom image can be added. No motion Backgrounds as in iDVD style.

It will burn Bluray Discs with quality output.

Al

Dec 19, 2020 12:15 PM in response to Ziatron

From within FCP you can add Chapter Markers and set a custom image for each marker. This function works closely with the timeline Index. For an easy, step-by-step guide to creating custom chapter markers in FCP just type "chapter marker" in the FCP Help menu.

BTW, the chapter markers you create in FCP not only appear when playing back a DVD/Blu-ray disc, they also appear in QuickTime when playing back movies and audio-only AAC files.

Dec 18, 2020 6:50 PM in response to Alchroma

Can I bring in my own image as a background? I do enjoy the moving menu options with iDVD, it's a wonderful program for creating DVDs. (Unequaled by anyone else.) I wish Apple would update it for Blu-rays.

Anyway, with Final Cut Pro, can I create a Chapter menu system with my own names? Even a simple list of chapter names that I can assign would be fine. Then, using the remote of an optical disc player you can choose the chapter you want, or start the movie from the beginning.

Basically, I'm just trying to duplicate a simple version of what we often see in studio created blu-ray discs.

> Play Movie

> Scene Selection

(The chapters/scenes menu would be shown if you select “Scene Selection”)

If Final Cut Pro can do these things, why do people buy Compressor?

Dec 19, 2020 4:48 AM in response to Ziatron

Your question really begs another question.

Do you really need to burn Blu-ray Discs?

Creating .mp4 files is much easier, quicker and gives the same quality.

The files are more compatible than discs being able to be used on most modern TVs and media players to say nothing of computers, tablets and mobile phones.

They can be stored on memory cards, USB sticks or any type of hard drive.

They can also be kept in cloud storage for download by anyone you choose.

Given those facts it is hard to see why anyone would still produce discs.

Should I buy Final Cut Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.