Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie

I recently purchased this MacBook Pro and want to use iMovie but can't seem to get started. Have used Filmora Wondershare but not iMovie.

I started a project and added pictures and videos to my Library. When I try to drag a picture or video down into the timeline it will not "take" it. When I try to add them by clicking the +, a pop-up message tells me "You are combining audio and video clips outside the primary storyline. (You cannot add video clips to existing audio-only compound clips.)"

I have not seen a tutorial that addresses this issue and certainly cannot get the iMovie started. Can anyone help me get past this issue? Please and Thank You.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 7:34 PM

Unlike Final Cut Pro, iMovie has no feature to create a compound clip. So it is a puzzling error message that you are receiving. I recall that at least one other poster on this forum brought up the same issue as you did. I don't remember any solution to it.

Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If no luck, try creating a new project and putting in different clips and see if the issue goes away.

If still no luck, try calling Apple Support by clicking on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forums screen and navigating to a place where you can enter you phone number. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2022 7:34 PM in response to bear_grizzly_2

Unlike Final Cut Pro, iMovie has no feature to create a compound clip. So it is a puzzling error message that you are receiving. I recall that at least one other poster on this forum brought up the same issue as you did. I don't remember any solution to it.

Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If no luck, try creating a new project and putting in different clips and see if the issue goes away.

If still no luck, try calling Apple Support by clicking on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forums screen and navigating to a place where you can enter you phone number. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.

-- Rich

IMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.