You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Books in Family Sharing

I purchased a textbook using my personal apple id with the intention of linking it to my work iPad through Family Sharing. Unfortunately, that textbook is asking me to repurchase it on my work iPad, even though I can see it through the Family Sharing option. (I can see another purchased book showing up with the download option.) I purchased through my personal apple id because my work id is associated with work and if my work ever chose to move away from Apple devices, I would no longer have access to that id. I would really like to be able to access the book on my work iPad. Is there any workaround for this situation? It will be really frustrating to log in and out of both accounts to access resources throughout the day.

Thanks all!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 4:08 PM

1 reply

Dec 21, 2020 10:04 AM in response to T_Steel

Hi T_Steel,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re trying to share a purchase and are being asked to pay for it on the second device. We’re happy to help.

To start, make sure you’re following these steps: Share App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing

“* In the store, items your family members have already purchased still show their full price. To avoid paying for the item again, download it from the Purchased page.”

If that doesn’t help, try these steps: If you don't see your family's shared content

If the above doesn’t help, contact Apple Support.

Take care.

Sharing Books in Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.