Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do if "Security Update 2020-001 Catalina" gets stuck (for 10 hours) during installation?

I have tried to install the update twice. Both times it got stuck. The first time I left it to finish for about 10 hours. I had to press the power button for a few seconds to stop it. Then I reinstalled macOS Catalina 10.15.7 from the recovery mode since my mac would not boot anymore after the interrupted security update. Then I tried to install the update the 2nd time with the same result (this time I waited for the update to unstuck for about 2 hours). Now I am reinstalling macOS Catalina 10.15.7 from the recovery mode again.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 4:10 PM

Some others have reported issues like this. Here is something you can try that worked for me with an earlier OS where I experienced something similar. *This only works if you have a reliable backup you can restore from.*

(1) Boot into recovery and erase the hard drive, then reinstall the operating system. (You may have done this already, but you did not indicate if you erased the disk first. *Only do this if you have a reliable backup to restore from.*)

(2) You now have a fresh operating system with no user files and no user-installed programs or extensions. Basically like the way a new computer comes. On first boot, create a new user, ADMIN, who has Administrator privileges. Don't migrate your user accounts or files over from your backup yet.

(3) With this plain vanilla system and the single Administrator user, apply all the available updates, including the troublesome Security Update.

(4) So far, this should work just as it does with new Macs in the Apple Store. Assuming it does work, then run the Migration program to migrate your user accounts and files from the backup. I suggest not bringing over software or settings, you can pick what to migrate, I suggest just user accounts and files, but no programs or settings. Then install fresh all your software, but either one at a time or a few at a time. Reboot to verify that you can restart your computer properly after each install. If one of your programs causes the reboot stoppage to return, then that program has a conflict with this latest version of Catalina.

This approach takes a while longer because you are reinstalling all your third party programs from scratch, and you also have to reinstall printers, scanners, and re-enter settings such as for routers, etc. You'll need registration numbers, etc. But it will work if there was something previously installed that was conflicting with the most up to date version of Catalina.

If this fails at step 3, then that might be indicative of a hardware problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 4:10 PM in response to 8_8_8

Some others have reported issues like this. Here is something you can try that worked for me with an earlier OS where I experienced something similar. *This only works if you have a reliable backup you can restore from.*

(1) Boot into recovery and erase the hard drive, then reinstall the operating system. (You may have done this already, but you did not indicate if you erased the disk first. *Only do this if you have a reliable backup to restore from.*)

(2) You now have a fresh operating system with no user files and no user-installed programs or extensions. Basically like the way a new computer comes. On first boot, create a new user, ADMIN, who has Administrator privileges. Don't migrate your user accounts or files over from your backup yet.

(3) With this plain vanilla system and the single Administrator user, apply all the available updates, including the troublesome Security Update.

(4) So far, this should work just as it does with new Macs in the Apple Store. Assuming it does work, then run the Migration program to migrate your user accounts and files from the backup. I suggest not bringing over software or settings, you can pick what to migrate, I suggest just user accounts and files, but no programs or settings. Then install fresh all your software, but either one at a time or a few at a time. Reboot to verify that you can restart your computer properly after each install. If one of your programs causes the reboot stoppage to return, then that program has a conflict with this latest version of Catalina.

This approach takes a while longer because you are reinstalling all your third party programs from scratch, and you also have to reinstall printers, scanners, and re-enter settings such as for routers, etc. You'll need registration numbers, etc. But it will work if there was something previously installed that was conflicting with the most up to date version of Catalina.

If this fails at step 3, then that might be indicative of a hardware problem.

Dec 19, 2020 10:55 PM in response to steve626

Short story: Thank you, Steve! It seems, my problem is solved!

Long story: I had an installation USB drive with an earlier version of Catalina. So, I booted from it, erased the disk (interestingly, that erased the OS and all the installed applications, but it did not erase the files in my home directory), installed Catalina from the USB drive, then upgraded to version 10.15.7, then successfully installed the 2020-001 Catalina update. I did not create a separate new Administrator account. So far so good: the mac is back from the dead - it boots and seems to work fine :-)

What to do if "Security Update 2020-001 Catalina" gets stuck (for 10 hours) during installation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.