Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-003 10.15.7 1.42 GB

Anyone else having issues with this new security update for Catalina? I installed it on my MacBook Pro (Intel Chip) and it's just stuck at the apple loading logo, it doesn't move past the last 5% of the loading bar.

Posted on May 29, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 3, 2021 6:40 AM in response to DTM85

I encountered the same 5% stall and waited long enough to become worried and search online and find this question. I continued waiting a really long time—I don't know how long but maybe no longer than an hour—and eventually it did finish installing without needing to try Safe Mode. In my case the long wait with no apparent progress was worrisome but not problematic.

Jun 3, 2021 7:02 AM in response to user9287432

Mine was the same but it never finished, it just sat there for hours. Finally I tried safe mode and for a while there it looked like it was going to work but unfortunately the same thing occurred, it still didn’t complete.

I actually was so worried that I went into recovery mode and reinstalled Catalina (not a full wipe, my data is still there, I just reinstalled the macOS Catalina ). I was then finally able to boot back into macOS Catalina.

Afterwards I saved all my files and decided to try the update again but this time overnight and much to my surprise it still didn’t finish…I then force restarted the MacBook Pro and after it booted up it actually loaded into macOS Catalina.

I double checked just to see if the update actually applied and it sure did. I then restarted & shutdown the MacBook Pro several times to test it and so far everything seems good, no issues that I can tell at least but this whole experience was very buggy.

Issue with macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-003 10.15.7 1.42 GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.