Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie lock audio to frame

iMovie 10 - is there a way to lock audio to a particular frame? iMovie Help says move cursor along the top of the green aucio clip until the cursor turns into a hand, but my cursor never turns into a hand.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 10:42 PM

Hi, VirginiaSRH,

Put your cursor on the audio clip and, while pressing down, drag the clip to the place you want along the timeline. It attaches to the video clip above it with a little coupler that you can see.

— Rich

3 replies

Dec 20, 2020 5:16 AM in response to Rich839

Yes I can move the audio that way. However it is not locked or pinned to that video frame. When I attach the audio that way, then delete a portion of the video clip which precedes the attached audio, the audio moves over to an earlier attachment point in the video. In a much older version of iMovie some years ago I remember being able to zoom in to the frame level and attach the audio that way. Is that possible in iMovie 10?

Dec 20, 2020 9:02 AM in response to VirginiaSRH

I cannot replicate what you are describing. When I attach an audio clip at a point in a video clip, then delete the first 10 seconds of the clip, the attached video remains attached to the video clip at the same point in the clip where I placed it. Can you post a couple of screen shots that show what you are seeing?

Since that is not happening for you, try deleting preferences and see if that cures it. It is a safe procedure that will not cause loss of data or disturbance to your project. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  

As a workaround, you can move the audio attachment point to anywhere you want in the video clip. While pressing down the Option and Command keys click at various places in the audio clip. The attachment handle will move to each place that you click.

-- Rich

imovie lock audio to frame

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.