Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buy keyboard for macbook pro Early 2011

Hello Apple Community!

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro with 16GB of ram, a nice SSD, I removed the DVD to add another drive for more space because I used to edit a lot of HD videos. My MBP is old but worked flawlessly. Around 4 weeks ago 4 keys on the keyboard stopped working (including ENTER), so I purchased a replacement keyboard from eBay and installed it. It did not turn on, but it did when I connected the Magsafe, but after that it did not work. I was able to login on and found it was damaged. That keyboard arrived damaged as 4 different keys were bad, but also the power button was unresponsive. I reinstalled the old keyboard, but the problem I have now is that the password I have to login uses one of the keys that is unresponsive, so I cannot even login.

I just want to know where can I buy a good keyboard that at least is not DOA. Does Apple sell replacement keyboards?

I have read in some places that my laptop was covered under some kind of warranty for the keyboard and Apple would replace it for free, but being serious, my MBP is almost 10 years old. Will it be covered?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Please, stay happy, safe and healthy,

Francisco

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 8:30 AM

so I purchased a replacement keyboard from eBay and installed it.

Was that an internal Apple keyboard or an external one? If internal, who did the install? They need to look for things that were not reconnected. Also ask if they disconnected the battery before work inside. That can fry a MBP fast if not done.

Your MBP is too old to qualify for the keyboard program, that covers 2015-2019 Mac notebooks.

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 8:30 AM in response to xtrasico

so I purchased a replacement keyboard from eBay and installed it.

Was that an internal Apple keyboard or an external one? If internal, who did the install? They need to look for things that were not reconnected. Also ask if they disconnected the battery before work inside. That can fry a MBP fast if not done.

Your MBP is too old to qualify for the keyboard program, that covers 2015-2019 Mac notebooks.

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Dec 24, 2020 8:08 AM in response to xtrasico

Your post has already been read by more than 14 Readers. Readers respond when they have something worthwhile to add, and generally not otherwise. Readers from around the world in different time zones may read your posting, and you should wait 24 hours before drawing the conclusion that none have something to add.

To log in, connect an external USB keyboard. Alpha and numeric keys are generally the same, even on a Windows keyboard.

Dec 24, 2020 8:24 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Dec 19 to Dec 24. Over 24 hours. My conclusion was on point.

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it!

As everyone can see by my questions, login in was not the problem. Finding a good keyboard replacement for my "obsolete" Macbook Pro was. But I just looked for another seller and bought it today. Let's see what happens.

Thanks again!

Happy holidays!

(Ugh! Those people at Apple that make great products that can last a decade... How dare they?)

Dec 24, 2020 9:22 AM in response to Allan Jones

"Your MBP is too old to qualify for the keyboard program, that covers 2015-2019 Mac notebooks."

I suspected it but did not know. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

"Was that an internal Apple keyboard or an external one?

Uh? It is a Macbook Pro... internal?

"If internal, who did the install?"

I did. PC Tech since 1992. Mac Tech Since 2011. Seed Tester since 2012.

"They need to look for things that were not reconnected."

I guess you have never seen the inside of a Macbook... It is a horrible work to perform. In the future, whenever a Mac tech tells me a job costs $XXX.xx, I honestly would just shut up and pay. You have to remove everything, and I mean literally everything to access the keyboard. The only thing attached were the track-pad and the DC in power board. Horrible!!!

Dec 24, 2020 12:18 PM in response to xtrasico

I did. PC Tech since 1992. Mac Tech Since 2011. Seed Tester since 2012.

Excellent!. That a relief! We see far too many people trying to do that level work who lack the skills to take apart a BIC pen! We cannot see one's qualifications here so I apologize for posting to the lowest common denominator!

I guess you have never seen the inside of a Macbook... It is a horrible work to perform.

I feel your pain because I have been inside. I have two pre-Unibody models here that need their HDDs harvested before recycling and I keep putting off doing it.

I'm happy we get to talk to someone who knows his way around a logic board.

Have you checked with PowerBook Medic? I've had pretty good luck there with used/pulled Mac parts.

https://www.powerbookmedic.com

Buy keyboard for macbook pro Early 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.