Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AU Plug-in’s crash Logic Pro X (new update bug?)

So as of right now, my Logic Pro is updated to 10.6, and my (late 2015) iMac is updated to Big Sur 11.1.

I’m not sure if anyone else is coming upon this issue but for a good amount of my downloaded AU Plug-ins, (not Logic’s stock plug-ins), they tend to crash my Logic instantly when I open them... that happens to probably around 1/3 to 1/2 of my plug-ins. I’ve had issues similar to this before prior to these updates, however the plug-ins would work eventually after 1-2 tries of opening. At the moment, certain plug-ins will consistently crash Logic every time I attempt to open them.

I’ve been finding this extremely annoying considering there’s a lot of plug-ins that I used a lot, that I can no longer use as of now. Is it because of the updates? Are the plug-in’s code not up-to-date enough to be usable in Big Sur? Or is it just because my iMac is running on 5 years of usage and is getting too slow to run these things? Any tips on how to possibly fix this issue?

Let me Know if this issue is happening to anyone else! Hopefully it’s not just me :\

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 3:59 AM

It's not a bug. MacOs Big Sur is a major update. Many plugins are still incompatible. You need to review each company and plugin individually. And if you've upgraded from Mojave or below, you may find that all 32-bit versions have stopped working.

For the future, inform yourself before updating, no matter if it's software or operation system.

How to fix?

There are many posts related to this topic in this forum. Either wait for plugin updates or downgrade your operating system, which is possible but not convenient.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 3:59 AM in response to henf1

It's not a bug. MacOs Big Sur is a major update. Many plugins are still incompatible. You need to review each company and plugin individually. And if you've upgraded from Mojave or below, you may find that all 32-bit versions have stopped working.

For the future, inform yourself before updating, no matter if it's software or operation system.

How to fix?

There are many posts related to this topic in this forum. Either wait for plugin updates or downgrade your operating system, which is possible but not convenient.

Dec 20, 2020 4:42 AM in response to henf1

This is happening to lots of people and you can read many instances right on this very forum.

An easy thing to try is going back to an older version of Logic. Just get the older app from your backup and I rename it by adding _<version number> so that it can live side by side with the newer version. Manually run the older version to see if your plugins work ok. This is a very quick thing to try.

If that does not work then you'll have to go back to your previous working system, again, via your backup but this is a longer more tedious solution.

Dec 24, 2020 1:07 AM in response to henf1

Are you on Logic X 10.6, or the latest version 10.6.1? LPX 10.6 was very unstable with 3rd party plugins, (even on Catalina)... 10.6.1 much better. Might be worth checking before reverting your OS.

As others have pointed out, the issue is more likely incompatibility with Big Sur - some plugin developers have already announced compatibility... others will take a while, so worth checking for updates. You can search this database for any clues : https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/big-sur-audio-compatibility-chart

AU Plug-in’s crash Logic Pro X (new update bug?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.