Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

having USB connectivity problems on MacBook Pro M2: unreliable Thunderbolt port? unreliable USB-C hub?

I recently acquired a 16" M2 MacBook Pro.

I intend to use it with an external keyboard and mouse connected by USB. I also have a couple external drives, a couple sound modules, and a copy protection dongle. All of these peripherals are USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Before I got the M2, with my previous Intel MacBook I used a powered USB 3.0 hub (Atolla) for some of the peripherals, and daisy chained a USB 2.0 hub for the keyboard and mouse.

For the M2, I bought an Insignia hub that goes from USB-C input to 4 USB 3.0 outputs. I also bought two USB-C to USB 2.0 dongles from Apple.

I hooked up the Insignia to one of the Thunderbolt (USB-C) ports on the new MacBook. I daisy-chained the Atolla into it to attach my USB 3.0 drives and sound modules. I plugged my keyboard and mouse into another one of the Insignia outputs.

It worked at first. But ever since then, the my USB connectivity has been spotty. Each time I reboot the M2, it's hit-and-miss whether the keyboard and mouse will work. One time after rebooting, nothing connected to the Insignia (including external drives) worked. When I unplugged the Insignia and switched to the USB-C-to-USB-2.0 dongles, everything came back. (Although I can't use my USB 3.0 drives at full speed that way.)

Then I tried the Insignia in a different MacBook Thunderbolt port. It worked! Then I moved it back to the original Thunderbolt port. It worked!

What does it sound like the problem is? Do I just have a defective USC-C hub, or can there be issues in the MacBook OS that can cause this?

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2023 6:10 PM

mike1127 wrote:

I intend to use it with an external keyboard and mouse connected by USB. I also have a couple external drives, a couple sound modules, and a copy protection dongle. All of these peripherals are USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Before I got the M2, with my previous Intel MacBook I used a powered USB 3.0 hub (Atolla) for some of the peripherals, and daisy chained a USB 2.0 hub for the keyboard and mouse.

For the M2, I bought an Insignia hub that goes from USB-C input to 4 USB 3.0 outputs. I also bought two USB-C to USB 2.0 dongles from Apple.

I hooked up the Insignia to one of the Thunderbolt (USB-C) ports on the new MacBook. I daisy-chained the Atolla into it to attach my USB 3.0 drives and sound modules. I plugged my keyboard and mouse into another one of the Insignia outputs.

It worked at first. But ever since then, the my USB connectivity has been spotty. Each time I reboot the M2, it's hit-and-miss whether the keyboard and mouse will work. One time after rebooting, nothing connected to the Insignia (including external drives) worked. When I unplugged the Insignia and switched to the USB-C-to-USB-2.0 dongles, everything came back. (Although I can't use my USB 3.0 drives at full speed that way.)

Then I tried the Insignia in a different MacBook Thunderbolt port. It worked! Then I moved it back to the original Thunderbolt port. It worked!

What does it sound like the problem is? Do I just have a defective USC-C hub, or can there be issues in the MacBook OS that can cause this?

I would suspect hub compatibility...

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2023 6:10 PM in response to mike1127

mike1127 wrote:

I would suspect hub compatibility...

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

having USB connectivity problems on MacBook Pro M2: unreliable Thunderbolt port? unreliable USB-C hub?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.