Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why do I have to wait several minutes before "USB 2.0 Hub" shows up in "System Information..." -> "USB Device Tree"?

Recently, after connecting a USB 2.0 hub to my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, i5). I need to wait several minutes before I can see it in "System Information..." -> "USB" -> "USB 3.0 Bus" section.

This is very inconvenient. Because I need to connect my keyboard and mouse to this USB hub. If "USB 2.0 Hub" doesn't show up under USB Device Tree, I can't use my keyboard and mouse.

Why does this happen?

I've tried both of the Thunderbolt ports of the MacBook Pro. But the same problem occurs, I still need to wait several minutes before "USB 2.0 Hub" shows up under "USB Device Tree".

You can find the above window by holding *option* key, clicking the apple icon on the top left corner of your screen, then clicking *System Information...*.

I've also tried using another USB hub, but the problem still exists.

Does anyone know what might be the root cause of this problem and how to fix it?

I've tried resetting NVRAM by following this tutorial. But it doesn't help.

Resetting SMC doesn't work either.

Could this mean that my MacBook Pro doesn't have enough current to drive the USB hub, so it needs extra time to identify the USB hub?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2023 6:28 PM

Some devices take longer to negotiate links than others. It could also indicate a hardware issue with the laptop or more likely the dock itself. Not all external devices are compatible with all computers. You may want to try using another dock especially a different brand.

Does the same thing occur even if you connect the dock to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop? If not, then it indicates a hardware issue with the laptop.

Edit: Also, if your hub is connecting as a USB2 device, this is not good. It may mean you are using a USB-C cable or adapter rated only for USB2 or it may indicate you are utilizing the wrong port on the hub to connect to the laptop, or it may indicate a very old hub, or a defective hub. You should only be using docks/hubs rated for at least USB3.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2023 6:28 PM in response to BreezeWind

Some devices take longer to negotiate links than others. It could also indicate a hardware issue with the laptop or more likely the dock itself. Not all external devices are compatible with all computers. You may want to try using another dock especially a different brand.

Does the same thing occur even if you connect the dock to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop? If not, then it indicates a hardware issue with the laptop.

Edit: Also, if your hub is connecting as a USB2 device, this is not good. It may mean you are using a USB-C cable or adapter rated only for USB2 or it may indicate you are utilizing the wrong port on the hub to connect to the laptop, or it may indicate a very old hub, or a defective hub. You should only be using docks/hubs rated for at least USB3.

Why do I have to wait several minutes before "USB 2.0 Hub" shows up in "System Information..." -> "USB Device Tree"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.