Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID on iPhone 12 unlocks with photo

I am very displeased with apple as after purchasing my iPhone 12 and using it for one week, I discovered it can be easily and instantly unlocked by just using a close up photo of me. I have tested this extensively, using a selfie I took from both android and iOS devises, more specifically an iPhone 11 and a galaxy s7. Both managed to unlock my phone with the first attempt made, just by holding the other phone displaying the selfie picture in full size, a few inches opposite my iPhone 12. I also attempted the same test with my husband holding the phones and me out of the room just in case the camera was able to catch a glimpse of my face while testing. What is happening apple? Face ID is supposably superior to the fingerprint sensor, according to apple’s claims. But this is a joke. So anyone with a screenshot from an Instagram selfie can now unlock my phone. This is terrible. I really hope apple addresses this soon, I paid 1000€ for this phone in Europe. Inexcusable. Anyone else tested this or having the same issues?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 1:03 PM

By "random people" I assume you mean those of us who have been helping Apple users with their issues for, in many cases, decades now spending tens of hours of personal time each and every week to do so, and who have thousands of hours of personal experience with Apple products.

Does that mean you many not have discovered some strange bug with FaceID? Of course not, it's software, it's possible.

However it also means you have the greater burden of proof to show that something those of us familiar with TrueDepth cameras know from personal experience doesn't work, works in your case.

So don't be offended, just realize there's a bit of disbelief at your claim and belittling those who have responded with official Apple statements as to how FaceID works and complaining that your issues aren't taken seriously when you created your account today specifically with a username designed to be inflammatory doesn't engender credibility.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Faceidproblems

By "random people" I assume you mean those of us who have been helping Apple users with their issues for, in many cases, decades now spending tens of hours of personal time each and every week to do so, and who have thousands of hours of personal experience with Apple products.

Does that mean you many not have discovered some strange bug with FaceID? Of course not, it's software, it's possible.

However it also means you have the greater burden of proof to show that something those of us familiar with TrueDepth cameras know from personal experience doesn't work, works in your case.

So don't be offended, just realize there's a bit of disbelief at your claim and belittling those who have responded with official Apple statements as to how FaceID works and complaining that your issues aren't taken seriously when you created your account today specifically with a username designed to be inflammatory doesn't engender credibility.

Dec 20, 2020 12:44 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I’m afraid it’s not a matter of doubt, it happens, I tested it, I saw it, other people saw it and tested it as well on their iPhones so it is a matter of fact. We can debate it forever, or get it fixed. I posted this question not to ask if it happens, as I know it does, but to address a safety issue so apple can fix it and we can feel safer as consumers.

Dec 20, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I know all that, that’s why I’m addressing it as an issue and not as a commonality. Perhaps if I could upload a video we could move past the disbelief part to actually addressing the original matter at hand. I’m starting to doubt the actual use of posting issues here if random ppl will just respond with things you can find on Google or their personal opinion on a problem they are not currently facing.

Dec 20, 2020 1:20 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I appreciate that, I will try restoring the phone in case there is a bug and if it continues happening I will try to contact apple directly. Unfortunately I reside in Greece where apple stores are scarce and due to COVID everything is closed till god knows when. Maybe restoring the phone will do the trick. Perhaps it’s more of an individual thing rather than a general bug. I will post here the results. Thank you all.

Dec 20, 2020 12:49 PM in response to Faceidproblems

Face ID matches against depth information, which isn’t found in print or 2D digital photographs. It's designed to protect against spoofing by masks or other techniques through the use of sophisticated anti-spoofing neural networks. Face ID is even attention-aware. It recognizes if your eyes are open and your attention is directed towards the device. This makes it more difficult for someone to unlock your device without your knowledge (such as when you are sleeping).

About Face ID advanced technology - Apple Support

Dec 20, 2020 1:14 PM in response to Faceidproblems

Perhaps if I could upload a video we could move past the disbelief part to actually addressing the original matter at hand.

Nobody here can analyze and resolve your issue even if you were able to demonstrate it.

We do not work for Apple. Unless another member here has experienced this and can share their experience, this discussion is destined to be fruitless for you.

You should attend an Apple Store and show them.

Face ID on iPhone 12 unlocks with photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.