Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 with the question mark folder icon on boot

I have an old iMac G3 500MHz and have been trying to install Tiger. I've successfully installed Tiger but after restarting I'm faced with the question mark folder icon. I've tried three different hard drives so they can't all be dead. What should I do?

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 4:18 PM

Do you have the hard drives jumpered properly? I honestly don't recall if the drive needs to be set for "Master" or "Cable Select". You can check what the jumper on the optical drive is set for. If the optical drive is set as "Cable Select", then set the hard drive to Cable Select as well, otherwise set the hard drive to "Master".

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 4:18 PM in response to Mr_G3

Do you have the hard drives jumpered properly? I honestly don't recall if the drive needs to be set for "Master" or "Cable Select". You can check what the jumper on the optical drive is set for. If the optical drive is set as "Cable Select", then set the hard drive to Cable Select as well, otherwise set the hard drive to "Master".

iMac G3 with the question mark folder icon on boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.