Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac M1 graphics / pixels on screen flashing?

Hi Everyone,

As per attached. Happens every third start up, not constantly. It's not the monitor

which I hooked up for a day to my Apple TV 4K and did nothing like it...

Any thoughts? Should I return to Apple (for hardware fault) or do you think it's the graphics

driver (software) related?

Many thanks in advance...

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 8:17 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 23, 2020 10:15 AM in response to roberto_au

Hey there, roberto_au.

We understand that sometimes when starting up your Mac, you see an issue with the graphics/pixel. Check out the information below from this article: If your Mac display doesn’t look right

"If you see bright or dark spots on a flat-panel or Mac notebook computer screen: Your display may have pixel anomalies. If you suspect your Apple display contains a high number of anomalies, take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider."

You can also see if this happens to appear in macOS Recovery by following the steps as seen here: Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon If you see the same spots in macOS Recovery, then the issue is most likely hardware.

Take care.

Jan 21, 2021 2:08 PM in response to roberto_au

Hi ! I am a bit stuck in a dead end :

• the retail store in Turkey where i bought the M1MacMini told me that as i ordered a customized mac (16gigs and 1tb) they won’t accept a return
  • after i got my M1MacMini from day one i had the pink squares error and tried dm the apple support on Twitter but they didn’t offer me a replacement or a return, instead we wasted a lot time with troubleshooting
  • after that i phoned with apple global and apple turkey they still didn’t offer a return or replacement or a fix for the error
  • i have many projects and i really need a computer as fast as the m1, that’s what i told apple support many times on phone and chat but still no return or replacement
  • then i called the apple retail store where i bought the m1 and they offered me a return or replacement, as i can’t wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement (anyway it’s risky i might get another one with the pink squares) i decided to return it, but then since 2-3 days i wait for their call for the return procedure, they said the approval for the return takes some time and that it should probably be approved..
  • so i don’t know what to do anymore, will they accept the return ? If so i immediately must buy a new computer and keep working on my projects.
  • will they tell me that it needs a repair or replacement? Then i won’t have a computer and a business running..
  • i even asked apple support if they could provide me with a temporary mac until the M1MacMini is replaced, they said they don’t know if they do that..

dead end..

Jan 21, 2021 7:53 AM in response to roberto_au

here’s what I have tried until today :

- tried the m1 on 3 different monitors via hdmi and hdmiTOusbc hub

- tried 3 hdmi cables that i constantly use for multi cam live streaming 

- bought 3 new hdmi cables (1 belkin, 1 Philips, 1 hp) and tried the m1

- erased and reinstalled the OS (using a 2nd mac running apple configurator 2)

- updated the m1 to big sur beta 11.2 (all updates done)

- disabled the screen spaces from the mission control

- tried the dark and light modes

- night shift is off so it’s not the reason for it

- called apple global and apple Turkey support for a fix

- disabled ‘wallpaper tinting in windows’

Result : no fix ! Pink squares are still there :/

Mac M1 graphics / pixels on screen flashing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.