Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with new M1 MacBook, globe key doesn't function.

hi, i bought a new MacBook air with M1 chip and it has this new feature to switch between the input languages by pressing new globe button on the left bottom side at first it was working but after that it stopped functioning does anyone you have same problem?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 1:40 AM

I have the same issue. I restart or log out and log back in then it works. However, the problem returns. I'm guessing it's a software issue since other fn key functions work when I press it. Only having issues toggling between languages. I sent off a comment to Apple, hope they fix it soon.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2020 1:40 AM in response to temur2321

I have the same issue. I restart or log out and log back in then it works. However, the problem returns. I'm guessing it's a software issue since other fn key functions work when I press it. Only having issues toggling between languages. I sent off a comment to Apple, hope they fix it soon.

Dec 29, 2020 12:51 AM in response to temur2321

I have the same problem. Talked to support and they wanted me to clear cache and reset SMC and NVRAM. Of course, annoying because on an M1 Macbook there is no SMC and you can't reset NVRAM. Also instructions for clearing cache completely different than previous models. Was disappointed that tech didn't know this. Anyway.. I get the globe working again by using the other key combination, namely control-space. Later the key will stop working again but at least the same work-around fixes it each time. Better than restarting!

Jan 9, 2021 8:42 AM in response to temur2321

I have a new 20202 M1 MacBook Air with the same issue. The quickest fix I've found so far is to go into System Preferences=>Keyboard=>Shortcuts. There are two panels; on the left panel select Input Source and on the right panel select "Select the previous Input Source ^Space". When the Globe key stops working, simply press the Control + Space keys to restore the Globe key function.

Mar 19, 2021 4:36 PM in response to moykin

moykin wrote:

I have this issue too !!!!!!! when Apple gonna fix this?

Nobody in these forums knows when Apple will fix something, but you can add your voice to those asking for it to be given priority via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

And in the meantime there are some other ways to switch keyboards

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/type-language-mac-input-sources-mchlp1406/11.0/mac/11.0

Apr 22, 2021 7:30 PM in response to temur2321

I tried something and it resolved the issue with me immediately (without restarting or so).

I used to check the "use split controller" and "enable keyboard shortcuts" in my 2nd language (Arabic). But when I unchecked them both, it immediately worked perfectly fine.

I hope that this was the reason for that issue, give it a try! ❤️

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Source, then uncheck the additional options, refer to the screenshot for details.

Thank me later 😉😅😍

Apr 24, 2021 1:07 AM in response to temur2321

Нашел решение для клавиатуры на macbook m1.

Сначала я заменил горячую клавишу на cmd+space, но через некоторе время, месяц-два, снова повторялись "непереключения". Теперь я полностью отключил Siri (как делают настоящие "русские хакеры") и все заработало. Надеюсь надолго.

Видимо она мешалась со своими горячими клавишами (долгое нажатие cmd+space).

May 18, 2021 7:52 PM in response to temur2321

Same problem here with my M1 MBA and updated (as of 19 May, 2021). Every time when Fn / Globe not working, ^ Space also won't response.

I have to open up the Sys Pref -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts and click anything, then the Fn / Globe and ^ Space will come back (for a while).

I'm quite sure it is a macOS bug. Let's us get it reported and fixed.

problem with new M1 MacBook, globe key doesn't function.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.