Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air M1 Big Sur Not Printing/Connecting to Canon Printer

• I am having issues connecting/printing with my new Macbook Air to my Canon MP495 printer. It worked fine with my 2017 macbook pro. I imagine it has something to do with the new M1 chip or Big Sur - wondering if there may be a fix on the way soon?
  • Currently I get a "missing usb class driver" message when sending something to print
  • I have tried resetting the print settings and am now unable to add the printer back
  • I did check Canon's site for a new driver but there doesn't appear to be one, as of now at least.
  • Seems like others may be having issues with other printer models as well, not just Canon.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 8:50 PM

Try this link https://asia.canon/en/support - Put your model name in the search bar to find out the model you are using, then download the driver for your OS (auto detected) accordingly, and get it installed. Go to System Preferences - Printers to add your printer, where the driver will be automatically appearing and installed during the installation process.

I am using Canon G3800 printer and the driver works on my MBA M1 Big Sur.

Hope this helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 8:50 PM in response to he110mcfly

Try this link https://asia.canon/en/support - Put your model name in the search bar to find out the model you are using, then download the driver for your OS (auto detected) accordingly, and get it installed. Go to System Preferences - Printers to add your printer, where the driver will be automatically appearing and installed during the installation process.

I am using Canon G3800 printer and the driver works on my MBA M1 Big Sur.

Hope this helps.

Dec 22, 2020 11:06 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

Thanks, I have shared this issue on Canon's forum as well. There does not seem to be any direct way to contact Canon's support.

Apple support did suggest that I post the issue here, as it may be related to Big Sur (there haven't been drivers for Canon for quite some time as they were "integrated" into the Mac OS from what it seems). Hoping the engineers see this and can help!

Macbook Air M1 Big Sur Not Printing/Connecting to Canon Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.