Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstall Soundflower

Soundflower (2ch) has appeared in my list of audio devices and must have been installed as part of another app. I have uninstalled (using CleanMyMac X) any application that I think could be the culprit and looked for a file called Soundflower.kext that other articles have suggested should be removed (I could not find any such file) but Soundflower is still showing in my devices. Does anyone know how this can be removed?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 5:49 PM

If you used a non-Apple "cleaning" product you may well have botched that Mac to the point you will need to completely erase it and reconfigure it, and that is what I recommend you do. Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

The developer of "Soundflower" had removal instructions at one time but they're long gone. Fortunately I archived the relevant portion memorialized in the following Discussion: mavericks does not wake up some times

Pay no attention to the title of that Discussion; the link will take you directly to the relevant portion of it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 5:49 PM in response to scottcooper1971

If you used a non-Apple "cleaning" product you may well have botched that Mac to the point you will need to completely erase it and reconfigure it, and that is what I recommend you do. Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk.

The developer of "Soundflower" had removal instructions at one time but they're long gone. Fortunately I archived the relevant portion memorialized in the following Discussion: mavericks does not wake up some times

Pay no attention to the title of that Discussion; the link will take you directly to the relevant portion of it.

Dec 21, 2020 7:25 PM in response to John Galt

if you have the entire soundflower app, then yes, you should uninstall it. its extremely outdated and likely doesn't work any more anyways. it's even outdated enough, that it may be causing issues. but if all you have is the signed kext file (found in /Library/Extensions) that's worth considering keeping. it's something that allows you to record your mac's internal sound while screen recording with quicktime. if you'd like, have a look at this current thread, and you will see that it's a useful tool if you want that ability. and finally, John Galt is spot on about useless junk. while i and others find soundflower a useful tool, NO-ONE is going to recommend cleanmymac or any other piece of software that claims to speed up or clean your mac.

Uninstall Soundflower

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.