Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music stopped working on Mac after iPhone 12 upgrade

I upgraded my iPhone 6s for an iPhone 12. Now my music library on my older MacBook Pro and ipad is all gray , except for recent downloads, and it won’t let me play songs. I get a “not available in this country” message. I’ve researched that I have to delete music and reload it to make it work. Really? Seems like a lot of work considering how much the phone costs to begin with. Now I have to spend hours going through my library to figure out what won’t work, delete it and redownload it? Does someone have a better way?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 11:49 PM

Hey twh08!

Did you happen to move recently? Or create a new Apple ID? Or make an Apple ID or billing change?:

Change your Apple ID country or region

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389

If this isn’t the case, did you just recently subscribe to Apple Music?

I’d think if all that and the billing is squared away, and the only change was the phone upgrade....I may:

Open iTunes > Account/Store/Authorizations/DeAuthorize This Computer > Account/Store > Sign Out.

I’d do the same on the iPad Settings > Apple ID > Sign Out.

Restart both devices and sign back in, and for the Mac, Re-Authorize.

Or perhaps, since the phone was the only change, and you maybe transferred data from a backup, I may try the same on the phone as well.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 11:49 PM in response to twh08

Hey twh08!

Did you happen to move recently? Or create a new Apple ID? Or make an Apple ID or billing change?:

Change your Apple ID country or region

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389

If this isn’t the case, did you just recently subscribe to Apple Music?

I’d think if all that and the billing is squared away, and the only change was the phone upgrade....I may:

Open iTunes > Account/Store/Authorizations/DeAuthorize This Computer > Account/Store > Sign Out.

I’d do the same on the iPad Settings > Apple ID > Sign Out.

Restart both devices and sign back in, and for the Mac, Re-Authorize.

Or perhaps, since the phone was the only change, and you maybe transferred data from a backup, I may try the same on the phone as well.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Dec 24, 2020 2:21 PM in response to DiZoE

Hi. Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. To answer your questions, I’ve never signed up for Apple Music, I haven’t moved in five years and I have the same Apple ID I’ve had forever. The only thing that has changed since the last time my music played fine is getting the iPhone 12. If this makes any difference, the only songs I have issues with are from CDs that I copied into iTunes. They all work fine in my phone, but not my iPad mini or my MacBook Pro (both are older and not supported any more). Any ideas?

Dec 24, 2020 8:15 PM in response to twh08

Hey again! Gotcha.

So you’re past purchased music is available just not the imported music?

Can you say the OS version on your Mac?

I would probably Quit iTunes/Music app, re-launch while holding the Option key, select the option for a new library, and see if the music is available there.

Also, if not there, can you open iTunes/Music > Preferences > Advanced (Files for New OS), and notate the location iTunes/Music is looking for your Media?

Cheers.

Dec 26, 2020 8:33 AM in response to DiZoE

My Mac is now able to play all of my music after the latest update so that issue is resolved. Thanks. However, I still am having the same issue with my iPad mini. It is only the imported music that I get the “not available in your country or area” for. Everything purchased from iTunes plays fine. After the latest update I’m running iOS 12.5 on it. Any ideas?

thanks

Dec 26, 2020 8:38 PM in response to twh08

Hey again! Glad it’s working on the Mac now.

Did you happen to try the steps on the iPad of signing out/in of the Apple ID in Settings > Rebooting the iPad > and signing in again?

Is your iPad mini eligible to upgrade to the latest iOS version? If so I’d try that too if able too.

Lastly, do you normally sync the iPad with your Mac, using iTunes? (Now using Finder), just wondering if it needs to be re-synced for the other music to work right.

Cheers and happy new year!

Music stopped working on Mac after iPhone 12 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.